Can I use an electric roaster to caramelize honey for a bochet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
I know that a lot of people prefer to use a crockpot for this, but the volume that I can do at a time isn't ideal. But from what I can find the volume of most electric roasters would work, plus the lowest temp setting on the roaster that I'm looking at is actually 20° lower than most crockpots. So I'd be able to really go low and slow. Shouldn't a roaster work, or is there something thing that I'm missing?

I know that a lot of people prefer to use a crockpot for this, but the volume that I can do at a time isn't ideal. But from what I can find the volume of most electric roasters would work, plus the lowest temp setting on the roaster that I'm looking at is actually 20° lower than most crockpots. So I'd be able to really go low and slow. Shouldn't a roaster work, or is there something thing that I'm missing?
As long as you can control and transfer the honey safely, I don't see why you couldn't use any cooking appliance that fits your need. A roaster is essentially a crockpot with a thinner, metal basin to cook in. My only concern would be possible hotspots from your heating element or if the sides are to low when the honey expands.

Can't say I've ever tried a roaster but a crockpot has also never appealed to me due to the low sides, a large kettle slowly heated has been my go to but I say try it out with what you have.

Yes, you can use an electric roaster. I have done so a number of times. I set the temp control at 275 and after the honey starts to boil work it up to 325 over a number of hours. The only thing you need to be careful of is that the honey when you stir rides up the sides and tends to want to burn. Use a basting brush dunked in some water and "wash" the sides periodically.

Latest posts

Back