Beer temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badgerbrewer1

Reaction score
I am new to kegging having now done 3. I have noticed my kegerator inside temperature at 38* but my beer temperature is closer to 48* after several weeks. With the design o the corny kegs having double walls does the kegerator temp need to be set closer to freezing or below if I would like my beer in the 30's? Would I need to worry about the line freezing if I do this?

Corny kegs, and actually all metal kegs, are single wall construction. Where are you measuring the temp of the beer? If the kegorator has a tower for the taps, then chances are the beer is getting warmed up significantly as it goes up the tower. If there's no fan blowing cooled air up into the tower, or some other way to get the cooling up there, then you need to address that. Trying to reduce the temperature inside the kegorator will freeze the beer lines on you. It will also, probably, freeze the kegs if you go below 32F inside.

Thanks for your help. My kegerator temperature seems to vary greatly depending upon if it is running or not.

How are you controlling the temperature?? I'm using a 10 cubic foot Whirlpool fridge/freezer (freezer on top) to hold my beer kegs (using 2.5 and 3 gallon kegs, so I get 4 in there). The beer temp is pretty stable at 40F (+/- 0.5F). I've checked it with a sensor connected to a keg, and the display outside. I also have a wireless sensor that sends to a weather station, so I can track the high/low temps as well as current. It averages 40F (might have a 1-2F shift up and down).

If you're experiencing wider temperature swings, then you need to figure out why and resolve that/those issues. I can understand a +/- shift of 1-2F (on either side of the target) but not any more than that. If you're measuring the temperature of the beer in glass, then your tower needs to be better cooled, or insulated.

Back