my "sabco" brewstand clone build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Well, i decided to drop my grounding clamp on the welder before i looked where i was dropping it to... directly onto my welding mask and broke the glass :(. but at least i got this far! hopefully i'll pick up another glass or new mask tomorrow. but i did get this far today!

2012-05-19_17-25-43_811.jpg

metal was free as well, some old bed frames and some supports to a futon frame :drunk:

It is getting there! Exact sabco measurements as well.

ForumRunner_20120519_210205.jpg

Sabco has these ridiculous high feet for some reason. You going to include them?
Good start, two tier with a lowered BM is boss.

i think sabco has everything up so high in order to put one of their sanke fermenters down below and gravity fill it. at least thats what makes sense, or else thats just ridiculous lol.

it's only going to have about 4" legs (a few inches more with casters) so i can get my other burner under the BK and still comfortably reach everything above without a step ladder. so all in all, it's going to be about 30" tall at the tallest point and roughly 40" to the top of my MLT and HLT (no keggles yet, still large pots and cooler for now)

Woot! Gonna brew this weekend and see if i need to change anything. I did find out its about an inch taller in the back. So i need to chop that off. But other then that. I got on top and jumped on it... so im sure 5 gallons of water is gonna be okay!
ForumRunner_20120521_210603.jpg

yup! gonna brew on it this weekend and see if i need to make any changes (via welding), then either A) make the changes or B) scrape and paint.. still deciding on the color though. prolly just black or red header paint

I'd think you might want some supports in the middle of the large section your mash tun and hot liquor tank will be sitting on? That much liquid weighs quite a bit.

i'll do the tests while i'm brewing this weekend (if i do) and see if i needs supports, i was standing in the middle of the top row (200lbs) and it didn't flex, so it should be good!

i just made a dip tube tonight and it worked REALLY well... only large problem? i snapped my homemade gasket so now it's leaking like a shiv :( so i need to run to ACE and get it fixed and if that doens't work, i need to order new fittings from bargan fittings.

Rivenin said:
i'll do the tests while i'm brewing this weekend (if i do) and see if i needs supports, i was standing in the middle of the top row (200lbs) and it didn't flex, so it should be good!

i just made a dip tube tonight and it worked REALLY well... only large problem? i snapped my homemade gasket so now it's leaking like a shiv :( so i need to run to ACE and get it fixed and if that doens't work, i need to order new fittings from bargan fittings.

If you want to brew this weekend yet, McMaster ships overnight to most cities.

well i ended up taking a piece of silicone tubing, cutting it long ways to make a flat piece, then cut a hole in the middle and made a makeshift gasket. so it looks like i'll be able to brew on a limp leg this weekend after all. and here is take 2 on the stand, moved the switch and the pump to the right side under the kettle. did some test runs on the water and everything is looking good so far!

2012-05-22_21-46-01_528.jpg

dip tubes. made! i need to clean the kettles... badly... lol

2012-05-23_20-42-33_862.jpg

2012-05-23_20-43-19_861.jpg

all in all it leaves about a 1/2 gallon of water till the boil kettle. so thats a win in my book!

Woot! Going out tomorrow and picking up 2 keggles! Holla!

Currently breaking the rig in. Only issue was a siphon loss. But that was quickly resolved. Going good and mashing in! Kinda hard doing 6 gallons in keggles.. lol. I think im going to start doing 10 gallon batches but split them to something different for each. Eg. Do a stout then do different yeast and do one chocolate lavendar and one a basic stout. Keep the variety going.

How's the height with the keggles? I have a Brew Magic system that was severely neglected and I bought it dirt cheap. I cleaned it up, removed all the burners and gas fittings, and converted to an eHERMS. I have two pumps, so two tier is not necessary. I'm going to get the additional tubing welded to make it a single tier and cut the legs way down, basically down low enough to have space to fit new casters in, get it sand blasted and powder coated and call it a day.

As is, my keggle tops are at nose/eye level and I'm 6' tall.

I have an early system and my dimensions are little different than what's on their site. Mine is only 19" deep, and the heights are a little different, but that might be the caster settings.

19fcee90.jpg

i followed your build, that was an awesome undertaking! and looks great as well.

the height of the top keggle comes up just under mid bicep or so (i think about 4' up) so that makes life easy for temperature measuring untill i can get a weldless thermometer or make a thermowell.

i need to make a few changes before the next brew day though.

#1. move the pump to the lowest position that i can. I had issues priming the pump out of the boil kettle, but thats easy. After that i'll brew again and see if that resolves my issues. If so then i need to mount the propane plumbing and then start choosing paint.

#2, weld a support in the middle of the top tier area. When i tested it with kettles, it was fine and didnt' flex, but now that i have 40 extra pounds ontop of wanting to do 10 gallon batches, i don't know if the frame will hold that much weight comfortably under the heat of the burners.

how are you liking the HERMS setup? i'm debating between the HERMS and RIMS when i get the next keggle.

just to make sure... because i've never read up on it. Is there a copper coil in the HLT that you recirc your wort through? i guess that may be a propane waster if you aren't electric, which you are... hrm... need to think of some ideas.

Rivenin said:
#1. move the pump to the lowest position that i can. I had issues priming the pump out of the boil kettle, but thats easy. After that i'll brew again and see if that resolves my issues. If so then i need to mount the propane plumbing and then start choosing paint.

I had the same issue and had to move the pump to the floor. I open the valve on the kettle and then on the pump and let the liquid flow through into a pitcher and then shut the pump valve. Turn it on and then reopen to allow the liquid to flow. That's the best I could come up with so far until I move the BK up to the same level as the others.

how are you liking the HERMS setup? i'm debating between the HERMS and RIMS when i get the next keggle.

just to make sure... because i've never read up on it. Is there a copper coil in the HLT that you recirc your wort through? i guess that may be a propane waster if you aren't electric, which you are... hrm... need to think of some ideas.

I like it. And yes, the HLT water serves dual purpose in heating the mash and it's my sparge water.

well i switched the HLT and the BK for this brew day, went way smoother.
only issue? my weldless fitting was dripping a drop every 2-3 minutes. This was during the boil, so i tightened up the nut on the outside of the BK, which in turn moved my dip tube and hop basket... which in turn made a crap ton of hops go into the pump which plugged it like a cork... that one was interesting! but all is well so far.

2012-05-28_17-55-43_459.jpg

Well it was about an inch to tall in the back. So i sliced that off. Welded a support in the middle which took out my sag and here is my 4 dollar hop strainer. It fits perfectly in the bottom of the keggle and is a stainless steel drain catcher thing for a sink. Hopefully the next brew day has less screw ups! Lol and i had paint left over from another project so its turning brown! I think...

ForumRunner_20120529_214726.jpg

ForumRunner_20120529_214739.jpg

ForumRunner_20120529_214746.jpg

And my propane manifold... which is zip tied till i can figure out how to mount it :) anyone have ideas? Thinking of just getting large hose clamps for now

Back