Neighbors dog attacked me, then neighbor threatened to beat me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

runningweird

Reaction score
Our neighbor has a golden retriever - in the past it has gotten out of its fence and come barreling up to me teeth bare and acting very much like it wants to bite the crap out of me. All I wanted was the mail, or the trash can at the end of my drive way.

a few weeks ago it came out and bit my hand - so I whacked it accross the face and screamed at it.

today, I was walking to get the trash can and it burst angry from a gap in the neighbors yard fence, and attached itself to my arm - luckily it got sweatshirt and not Ian arm meat. So what do I do, I scream F$#k you and punch the crap out of it. imagine a portlier version of Conan the barbarian sucker punching the angry Camel in the face. I really had to lay into this dog to keep it off of me.

an older lady came out of the house where the dog resides and asked me what happened.

I explained calmly that their dog had attacked me, and I was calling animal control

in short, she was a moron. I had to pantomime the dog biting me, me punching it, and then me calling someone for her to understand.

called local police for animal control info, they told me I was out of local jurisdiction and that I should contact the state police - which I did -and then left a message with local animal control(it was after hours)

so now, the guy that owns the dog came to my front door and threatened to beat the crap out of me "because I insulted his mother" - so I called the cops.

the cop said "i will talk to the individual and warn him to stay away from you" - big whoop I feel so much safer.
Even if the guy threatens me again the cop said the offender would only get a fine - again kind of ridiculous. Nothing says don't attack your neighbor like a financial penalty.

I have small kids - so the dog is a problem. I live within sight of the guy that threatened to beat me - another problem.

so frustrating. I felt threatened- I really did. This guy was short and I am 215 pounds and 6'2" but he was straight up redneck with a nasty attitude. I would guess that he has seen the inside of a prison cell before.

I don't carry but I am seriously considering it from now on.

still a bit shaky as I type. I hate crap like this.

Sorry you had to deal with that. I live outside of city limits, where it's legal to handle these matters ourselves.... and that animal would have stopped some lead already.

I have kids, and I love dogs, but that's not ok.

That seems very uncharacteristic of golden retrievers. Some people live with dogs instead of being owners of dogs.

I am outside the city limits and I will now be carrying a piece of rebar with me to get the mail and the trash can- but now its the neighbor that worries me. The cop just came to my house - then went to talk to the guy and guess what - I think he left his house. My guess is that he has a record.

For now, you've done all you can. The guy was full of bravado and had to demonstrate to his mamma that he would stand up for her.

Get some pepper spray. It is far more effective than the rebar and that dog will associate you with a painful bite that indicates your dominance.

It is awful that you have to fear for your kids. I'm also fearful for the dog himself as he will really end up as the loser in this. He will suffer for having stupid owners.

Bummer dude. Sucks to have to deal with bad neighbors. As previously stated, that behavior from the dog is completely opposite of typical retriever demeanor. Normally they will lick you to death and finish you off with the briskly wagging tail. If this one is mean, it probably points to the owners and how it is treated at home.

Get some pepper spray. It is far more effective than the rebar and that dog will associate you with a painful bite that indicates your dominance.

This is good advice, for dealing with both the dog or its owner.

You might want to keep a Louisville Slugger handy. Morons like that guy are just trying to bully you. Getting a gun seems like a pretty ridiculous escalation based on your reciting of the events. People and their pets/family tend to raise the tension, but be realistic, IMO, about the real threat level once you have had a chance to calm down.

I agree, the firearm might get me in trouble. Pepper spray it is. anyone got a good one thats easy to carry?

So you were bitten by the neighbors dog and animal control has not come to remove the dog?
Pepper spray would be the least of the dogs worries.

Oddly enough, the pepper spray and rebar may be illegal while the gun is likely not (if used properly of course).

pepper spray is legal in pa. I guess I could open carry(legal in PA) to the mail box but that seems a bit much. likely animal control will solve the problem tomorrow. I live in a Lilly white town so animal control closes at 4 - tomorrow will offer a whole new set of fun time experiences.

my progress so far - a little league baseball bat hidden near the front door.

thanks guys - getting myself calmed down after all this crap is my biggest problem i think.

If you explain the situation to the animal control officer the way you did to us - the dog will be destroyed, as it should (unless, of course, the owners go through a real pain in the ass, expensive process - which they probably will not). I can only hope for your sake that the dog is up to date on it's rabies...

I love dogs but have no tolerance whatsoever for aggressive dogs that are not properly confined.

TXCurtis said:
If you explain the situation to the animal control officer the way you did to us - the dog will be destroyed.

In a lot of places there would have to be at least 2 reported incidents. Since the first one was not reported...sorry to say you have to wait for the next attack. This is the sort of thing that can vary greatly with location, animal and the people involved though.

So you were bitten by the neighbors dog and animal control has not come to remove the dog?
Pepper spray would be the least of the dogs worries.

Yeah I'm surprised as well. A dog that charges out and bites without provocation is a menace and unfortunately if nothing is done about it a child will most likely be attacked. I would definitely be pursuing legal action against the homeowner.

My dog is 113 pounds and his size makes him very scary when he comes barreling at you. He's really a big ole cuddle-bug and just wants to say hello and get some pets. Even so, I keep him under strict control so as not to scare any of my neighbors. I have 6 foot and 8 foot fences and keep the gates padlocked and when he's out front with me I keep him tied on a 40 ft. lead so he can't leave my yard.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE dogs.... but I can't stand people who have dogs and don't know how to control them.

As a followup to my earlier post - some background/ insight gained through a similar experience:

About a year ago I had a neighbor dog break through my fence and kill our beloved sparkles (pomeranian). Had I known then what I know now, I would have immediately shot the other dog - while it was on its side of the fence when sparkles was discovered, it was amped up and lunging at the fence. If it had bit me or a human family member, there's no question whatsoever that the dog would have been killed immediately.

That said, the dog was eventually destroyed by animal control due to my insistence that destroying the dog was the ONLY equitable solution and that the dog was a MENACE. I called the mayor (my town is tiny) and told them what'd happened, I reminded them how expensive a dangerous dog can be if there's a record of the same dog causing a problem.

If the AC does not pull the dog on their first visit, make it a financial decision. If a dog bites someone and lawyers become involved and the city did not take appropriate action when it knew a danger existed, it can be held at least partially liable - or at least have an expensive path to proving they aren't.

Don't make threats, express concern - but bug the living crap out of everyone you think has anything to do with getting rid of the dog.

IIRC, in most states a dog biting a PERSON immediately labels that dog as a dangerous dog. You didn't say if the bite was severe or not - but it sounds like this dog is a fvcking menace - do whatever it takes to make this dog go away. I would.

/post too many drinks ramble

I say you fill a brown bag full of dog poop and light it on fire on his door step..... Just kidding ...maybe:D

Skip the little pepper spray bottles and get a bottle of bear spray. Pepper and airhorn in one, plus significant range (like 20 feet).

Good stuff!

That seems very uncharacteristic of golden retrievers. Some people live with dogs instead of being owners of dogs.

Yeah this is REALLY weird for a golden retriever, they are usually very friendly. I would have to assume the guy who owns the dog must be doing something quite wrong to result in that kind of behavioral problem.

Gun. Shot. If a neighbor tried to put a hand on me on my property then I would shot him. I also live in Texas. That kinda how we do things. Honestly I would probably just release my rotty and pit on him.

Honestly no one needs to leave like that, I hope your situation get resolved.

weirdboy said:
Yeah this is REALLY weird for a golden retriever, they are usually very friendly. I would have to assume the guy who owns the dog must be doing something quite wrong to result in that kind of behavioral problem.

Golden retrievers are the most aggresive dogs I know.

Does PA follow the castle doctrine? Maybe someone else could chime in here, but in my mind that would mean that I would have a loaded shotgun at my bedside while I'm sleeping and next to the door when I'm not. I would make damn sure that there would be no further threats from any neighbors.

Agreed! I bet that poor dog has been tortured all its life by the SOB owner. Mean dogs are made that way by mean owners. :(

I've met as well as heard of some goldens getting pretty damn mean when they hit old age. Sounds like it could be a little of age and environment.

Yeah, it's a toss up between them and pit bulls. :confused:

Its not the breed its the owner!! Aggressive dogs are made not born, pitbulls get a bad rep because of their past. I personally own a retriever and a pitty and they are both sweet and harmless:)

I believe Bedlam offers good advice. Rebar tactic could get you in trouble with the Humane Society, SPCA animal rights activist. Which for the record, I'm glad they do get involved when animals are cruely treated.

However, doesn't sound as though IMO are looking to harm innocent animals. If a dog, or person viciously attacks you or the one you love or takes violent aggressive actions towards you and yours. I believe you should be able to stop them in their tracks by whatever means.

+1 plus carrying a piece of rebate or a firearm almost seem like your looking for trouble.

I am glad you're not injured.

I would be careful about taking any dangerous or harmful steps with either the neighbor or the dog. Things easily escalate into very permanent consequences that way. It sounds like pepper spray is probably a useful and safer solution to both potential aggressors.

For now, you've done all you can. The guy was full of bravado and had to demonstrate to his mamma that he would stand up for her.

It is awful that you have to fear for your kids. I'm also fearful for the dog himself as he will really end up as the loser in this. He will suffer for having stupid owners.

I didn't read all 33+ replies, thats not my norm.

I really liked the fourth reply which was from Bedlam.

I think she gives great advice.

Call your local humane society. The dog isn't at fault his owners are.

My two cents: look into a taser. They are cheaper and easier (typically) to obtain than a conceal carry weapon, and more effective than pepper spray when it comes to stopping power.

dude - sucks!! according to this penn state law article discussing the relevant statutes, because the dog attacked you in an unprovoked manner, it can be deemed a dangerous dog which then puts into motion a very expensive process of registration and upkeep for the owner - as animal abusing rednecks they are highly unlikely to care and the dog will be taken and destroyed.
tomorrow shall be the beginning of the end of the problems with that dog, the problems with your neighbors have only begun...much luck!
FWIW as a kid growing up in rural VT i was bitten by a neighbors dog on my right leg on the side of my knee and thigh when the dog ran out of their home across the street and attacked me on my bicycle as i was passing by - like i did everyday at the time. i had to have a few stitches and was told that if it wasn't for my denim shorts (heh damn 90s) the dog could've done damage to the tendons and ligaments that comprise my knee joint...aka permanent injury. i begged my parents to do whatever could be done to get that dog put down, but they refused and instead gave me a bottle of bear mace to carry with me on bike rides. i'm pretty sure my folks were wary of these neighbors, who burned their trash and littered their yard with dilapidated car husks and stayed warm in winter by layering plastic on their windows. they were nice people to shoot the breeze with - but they couldn't raise a sweet animal to save their lives.
i wish you the best man, don't let that fvcking dog alter your life in ANY way, you are a human - it's a fvcking dog.
cheers!

klnosaj said:
Bummer that the consensus seems to be that the proper response is an escalation in violation. Aren't we better than that?

No, the consensus here is that the OP needs to be able to legally and safely defend his family from a dangerous tandem of human and dog that live next door.

kilted_brews said:
My two cents: look into a taser. They are cheaper and easier (typically) to obtain than a conceal carry weapon, and more effective than pepper spray when it comes to stopping power.

The downside to a taser is the the attacker is within attack range in order to use. By the time you use it, you may already have a major problem. Pepper spray can be used from a distance, stopping the attacker before they're in range of harming you, giving you the opportunity to flee and call 911.

Gun. Shot. If a neighbor tried to put a hand on me on my property then I would shot him. I also live in Texas. That kinda how we do things. Honestly I would probably just release my rotty and pit on him.

Honestly no one needs to leave like that, I hope your situation get resolved.
There's a reason that neighbors don't come to doors angrily in Texas. An armed society is a polite society.
Bummer that the consensus seems to be that the proper response is an escalation in violation. Aren't we better than that?

No, the consensus here is that the OP needs to be able to legally and safely defend his family from a dangerous tandem of human and dog that live next door.

Klnosaj is from Berkeley - I'm sure he'd arrange a protest. Folks standing outside the neighbors house chanting "don't bite, it's not right".

txcurtis said:
klnosaj is from berkeley - i'm sure he'd arrange a protest. Folks standing outside the neighbors house chanting "don't bite, it's not right".

lol

There's a reason that neighbors don't come to doors angrily in Texas. An armed society is a polite society.

Klnosaj is from Berkeley - I'm sure he'd arrange a protest. Folks standing outside the neighbors house chanting "don't bite, it's not right".

Haha, damn hippies.

Check your state's dog bite laws too. Here in Wisconsin, it's a strict liability statute - your dog bit me, you pay all my medical bills, damages, etc. I don't have to prove that you did anything wrong. All I have to prove is that it's your dog.

If the dog bites twice, the owner pays all the damages TIMES TWO. I have a $1,000 ER bill, you pay me $2,000, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back