General plumbing question...sink related

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
I am slowly working my way towards all-grain which means moving out of the kitchen. I'd really like to add a utility sink in my laundry room (connected to garage). I have just enough room for one right next to my washer.

Can I just run a "Y" splitter for the hot/cold spigots that my washer uses?

Can I simply add a PVC "Y" or "T" to my washer drain pipe to drain the sink?

I just didn't know if adding splitters to the incoming water may restrict the flow that the washer pumps use. Would it be a bad idea to have the sink use the same drain as the washer?

Do I worry too much? ;)

Should be fine. Really depends on the size of the incoming water lines if both could be used together.
Adding the drain should be fine too, except you will want a sweep instead of a tee.

I am slowly working my way towards all-grain which means moving out of the kitchen. I'd really like to add a utility sink in my laundry room (connected to garage). I have just enough room for one right next to my washer.

Can I just run a "Y" splitter for the hot/cold spigots that my washer uses?

Can I simply add a PVC "Y" or "T" to my washer drain pipe to drain the sink?

I just didn't know if adding splitters to the incoming water may restrict the flow that the washer pumps use. Would it be a bad idea to have the sink use the same drain as the washer?

Do I worry too much? ;)

The previous owners of our house had this done but in the opposite. They tapped into the sink lines and drain for the washer hookup in the garage.

It works, but the only real issue is when the washer is loading water, the sink pressure drops A LOT!

So if you plan to do any recirculating or cooling with the tap water don't run the washer at the same time (if you are given that choice)

Should be fine. Really depends on the size of the incoming water lines if both could be used together.
Adding the drain should be fine too, except you will want a sweep instead of a tee.

What is a sweep? I'm not finding one listed on lowes.com. I think I can picture it in my head. Is it somewhat like a "Y" but encourages one branch to flow in a specific direction?

Thanks much for the help, fellas. :mug:

sweep_tee.jpg

They will have them at lowes.

Latest posts

Back