Snow globe to opaque...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

East

Reaction score
So I made a harpoon IPA clone (supposed to be anyways). I had problems from the beginning, all dumb mistakes on my part. 1 added double the amount called for, when adding first hops, 2 never got the wort below 80 degrees. Sat for 2 weeks and bottled, now it looks like a snow globe after you shake in the bottles, little white specks floating everywhere, but otherwise... very clear. When I put one in the fridge for a while it turned completely opaque light can barley get through it?! Obviously an infection right? Its drinkable but definitely not good..

sounds to me like chill haze and yeast in suspension (bottle conditioned)...normal in my mind, but i am pretty new at this stuff...so we will see what others have to say

I would agree with BreWirfel. Sounds just like chill haze caused by lack of good cold break, and a lot of yeast in suspension due to only letting it go for 2 weeks.

I have since gotten a wort cooler, hoping this will improve my next attempt

IMHO you bottled a bit too much yeast w/ only two weeks in the fermenter. Chilling the bottles for a few weeks may brighten them up as well. Whirfloc is a good product and very affordable.

Chill wort to a proper temp...say mid sixties even if it takes a loooong time...IMO pitching yeast late is much better than pitching hot...never at 80 regardless of how long you hav to wait.

Let that beer sit at room temp like ~70˚ for another two weeks, don't shake them, the yeast should settle out on the bottom. Then refrigerate, wait a few days, Pour carefully.

+3 on don't shake them. Like any other bottle conditioned beer if you shake the bottle you will disturb the yeast. If you take a case or so and put it in the fridge for a week or two the chill haze normally drops out.

now it looks like a snow globe after you shake in the bottles, little white specks floating everywhere

i don't think he's been shaking the bottles, I think he's likening them to shaken up snow globes.

Or maybe he's shaking them.

Back