(AG) Contest Porter with limited ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
I have a little contest coming up that requires very limited ingredients and I figure that I will make a porter. It looks to me like I could put together something fairly nice and simple that looks like this

10 Gallon Batch

20lbs Two Row
2 lbs Caramunich
1 lb Brown Malt
1 lb Chocolate Malt

1 oz Magnum 60min
2 oz Willamette 15min
1 oz Willamette 5 min

Chico #1056

This is a ten gallon batch and the only other choices that I have for malt is dark munich and Car 20L. Limited quantities as well. I am doing a 10 gallon batch.

Does this seem like it could work? I can't really think of any other beers that I could do with the malts at hand.

That's not bad for a Brown Porter, though the dark munich might be a better choice.

What are the regulations for the ingredients within the contest parameters?

I only have the choice of six malts. All of them are calling for a Brown, Dark lager, Porter sort of beer. Or a rather bland IPA that is just two row and 20L with some basic hops. Northern Brewer hops might be the only choice for an IPA.

Apart from the lack of choice, you have a limit on quantity. If I used it all I could go with a total of 26lbs two row, 2lbs Caramunich, 2lbs Car20L, 1lb Brown, 1 lb Dark Munich, and 1lb Choc.

Hell, how about using it all but the Cara20L and having a barleywine! Now we are talking! Time to rework the recipe a little bit.

Latest posts

Back