Janis Hoplin experimental hop test brew tasting notes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
In October, I dropped in at Yakima Valley Hops in Yakima, and helped myself to an ounce each of two experimental hops that were free for the taking. One was Green Magic, and the other was Janis Hoplin.

In a 3 gallon brew, I used an ounce of Janis Hoplin at 5 minutes, and 1/4 ounce of Magnum at 60 min. IBUs were about 32, OG 1.082, though it is a light bodied beer due to the use of a significant amount of sugar (14%) It's a whoop ass 8% ABV (approx), SRM about 8 due to the use of 3 ounces of CR120

The flavor is nothing short of shocking, like Janis herself.... it is intensely fruity, but not a fruitiness like I've ever tasted in any other hop, with a bit of grapefruit in the background, but the rest is a medley of tropical fruit that is almost indescribable, I catch hints of many fruits in this. It is also oily and coats the back of my mouth with a film infused with the fruit flavors, that lasts long after you have swallowed the beer. It's definitely a hop to be used in moderation. One ounce in a 3 gallon brew at 5 min is hardly a heavy handed use of hops, yet the flavor is overpowering and leaves a perception of sweetness. It's also very floral

This is the most outrageous hop I've ever used, and I'm scratching my head trying to decide how to use it and with what. I only had the one ounce, so it's not a problem I'm actually faced with. Personally I would pair it with something earthy and spicy to tame it a bit. I also would be tempted to use small amounts with one of my Nelson Sauvin based brews.

This is a hop you should try, but use it with a light hand..... The image that comes to mind when drinking this is a scene from an old French movie titled The Hairdresser's Husband. The two of them were sitting in the salon one night drinking perfumes and colognes, getting smashed before making love.

H.W.

This post got me interested so I just went on their website and ended up ordering a half pound of all their experimental hops because every one of them sounded great. Did you get any of the floral characteristics that they said are associated with janis hoplin?

This post got me interested so I just went on their website and ended up ordering a half pound of all their experimental hops because every one of them sounded great. Did you get any of the floral characteristics that they said are associated with janis hoplin?

Very definitely.... It really is an overpowering blend of fruits and flowers. I would not recommend doing what I did. Green Magic is a very nice hop. I did a single hop version of that in a very light bodied beer, and it stands well on it's own..... It definitely improves with age.

Please reply on this thread when you brew with JH.... I'd love to hear your reaction. One of the most striking qualities was the oiliness of it.

H.W.

Looks like JH is a 2014 harvest, not sure how I feel about spending even the $12.99 for 8 oz on hops that old. Some of the other new 2015 harvests look interesting, but I don't know what I would use them in any time soon (but the desire to get some is tempting).

Correction: JH is only $5 for 8 oz. Yeah that's good enough to try. But I'd need to use it soon.

Looks like JH is a 2014 harvest, not sure how I feel about spending even the $12.99 for 8 oz on hops that old. Some of the other new 2015 harvests look interesting, but I don't know what I would use them in any time soon (but the desire to get some is tempting).

Correction: JH is only $5 for 8 oz. Yeah that's good enough to try. But I'd need to use it soon.

I would not say the hops I picked up were anything but this year's crop. They were dry, but very aromatic.... Open the large clear zip lock bag and help yourself.

This brew was so "in your face" intense, that I bottled part of it, and added some hibiscus and Nelson Sauvin tea with some honey to half a gallon and set it aside to ferment more. It will also be bottled to age a bit. I'm thinking Nugget might add a flavor component that would round the JH out a bit...........

H.W.

My shipment should be here sometime next week and I plan on making SMASH's out of the jh when I get them and also probably one with green magic and one with vinnie special. I also ordered experimental grapefruit I will probably use on an apa. The experimental apple crisp I can really decide what to do with but I had to order them they just sounded too intersting. I am thinking I may try them in a hoppy saison

so would this hop schedule be over the top? I just bought 8 ounces of each after seeing this post

1.5 oz Vinnie Special Leaf/Whole 10 min
1.5 oz Janis Hoplin Leaf/Whole 10 min
1.5 oz Green Magic Leaf/Whole Boil 8 min
1.5 oz Vinnie Special Leaf/Whole Boil 6 min
1.5 oz Janis Hoplin Leaf/Whole Boil 4 min
1.5 oz Green Magic Leaf/Whole Boil 2 min
1.5 oz Green Magic Leaf/Whole Boil 20 min WP
2.5 oz Janis Hoplin Leaf/Whole Boil 20 min WP
1.5 oz Vinnie Special Leaf/Whole Boil 20 min WP
1.5 oz Green Magic Leaf/Whole Dry Hop 7 days
1.5 oz Janis Hoplin Leaf/Whole Dry Hop 7 days
1.5 oz Vinnie Special Leaf/Whole Dry Hop 7 days

My shipment should be here sometime next week and I plan on making SMASH's out of the jh when I get them and also probably one with green magic and one with vinnie special. I also ordered experimental grapefruit I will probably use on an apa. The experimental apple crisp I can really decide what to do with but I had to order them they just sounded too intersting. I am thinking I may try them in a hoppy saison

I used the Green Magic in a smash brew..... also 3 gallons. It's a nice hop that is capable of standing on it's own, but a bit of "support" wouldn't hurt. It's not the intense "in your face" character Janis Hoplin is. Here is my description of it as I wrote to Jeff at Yakima Valley Hops:

"For a single hop beer it stands up well on it's own with its fruity / non citrus flavor backed up by a significant spiciness with subtle floral aromas that explode as it crosses your tongue and hang in your mouth after the beer has been swallowed, though they aren't apparent in the glass. In other words it doesn't have much "nose" at all. It's a hop I would try again..........."

Don't make the mistake of going really heavy with Janis..... Green Magic could be good in a hop bursted beer.

H.W.

The experimental apple crisp I can really decide what to do with but I had to order them they just sounded too intersting. I am thinking I may try them in a hoppy saison

Did you ever do anything with those? I got some and I'm real curious but I can't find any info

I haven't uses the apple crisp yet, they got buried in the freezer and I honestly forgot about them till I saw you post. I will have to pull them out and try them this weekend or next. I did use the experimental vinnie special in a 2 row smash that needs to be kegged abd I have to say right now I'm bo inpressed. Hopefully the apple crisp will be a bit better

Latest posts

Back