48 hours and counting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junkygoat

Reaction score
First timer. I made my first batch of ginger ale 48 hours ago. Made 10 (glass) 12 oz bottles, capped. And one plastic 24 oz plastic coke bottle for testing. left the same amount of room at the top on all. It is a little cool in my house around 66 degrees. The coke bottle doesn't seem like it s getting any harder. I just picked it up for the first time and see a few tiny bubbles. So I picked up a glass bottle and see a lot more tiny bubbles and "activity". I want to avoid busting bottles but also read to be patient. So should I wait another 12 hours to check the plastic bottle or go ahead and refrigerate? Thanks!

Bottling fermented soda in glass is always scary, even when you do have a PET test bottle. I've seen some bottles from the same batch ferment differently. So when you say that there is more activity in the glass bottle, I would at least make sure that the glass bottles are somewhere that they can burst safely and not damage anything with flying glass or liquid. Knowing how impatient I am, I'd probably open one of the glass ones to check.

Thanks. I had them in a closet in a trash bag for safety. I let them go another 18 hours or so. The plastic bottle started getting a little more firm but still not hard. But we had to leave town, so we took them out and stored in the fridge for a few hours, then transferred to a cooler and took a few bottles with us. I was a little concerned about transporting the bottles but had no issues. Just tried a bottle. It had good flavor but i could have left it for a while longer. Only a little fizz. I saw more bubbles in some bottles than others so your theory about the rates is probably true with this batch. I will be here another few days. Could i take them out of the fridge for another day? Will it start fermenting again?

Sent from my DROID4 using Home Brew mobile app

Yes, it should start fermenting again. I always have mixed feelings when I open up a bottle of under fermented soda. I feel relieved that it didn't explode, but then I kick myself for worrying so much over it and not letting it go long enough.

Though I prefer enjoying undercarbonated soda to cleaning up shards of glass and stickiness sprayed all over.

Back