Did hit target OG, but im still hitting my ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I just started AG. The other day I brewed and did not reach the OG that I had wanted. It was supposed to be 1.072 but ended up being 1.061. The final gravity was supposed to be 1.017. It's been a little over a week and my yeast is still working it seems. I measured the almost FG last night and I was at 1.009. Which is almost getting me to my desired ABV (7.3%). What's the deal?

Did I do something right?

How well you mash/sparge will determine efficiency and hitting the OG. Mash temperature will determine FG and body of the brew. Lower mash temps make for lower FG numbers and less body in the brew.

150 is in the lower end of the range (148-158 is the range we typically mash at). I had a batch I mashed at 150f finish at 1.011 (OG was 1.057 if I recall). The current release of BeerSmith does a solid job of predicting your FG based off the mash temperature. Not sure if it also factors in yeast attenuation rates. Still, since the latest update it's been spot on for the FG numbers for me.

I'm confused... You missed your OG on the low side, and you're confused why your FG is low..? Seems normal, to me. It might be slightly lower than expected, due to a lower mash temp creating more-fermentable sugars. But it doesn't seem odd to me. Unless the expected FG of 1.017 was for the OG of 1.061, not the desired OG.

What the others said. You mashed low, creating highly fermentable wort, and your yeast is attenuating well.

Latest posts

Back