Negra modelo bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, they held carbonated beer so they should be fine. You need to be avoid bottles that held non-carbonated beverages, like wine bottles, but any bottle that has held beer previously will work.

I'd have to pass them over as they are not going to stand up to any type of abuse.

I have a buddy who supplies me with modelo bottles and I bottle in them all the time. Have not broken one yet.
The only thing to watch out for is, that if you have a wing capper, make sure that it will cap a bottle tightly before you fill them. (Ask me how I know)
Corona and modelo bottles have a neck ring that is higher than some bottles and some wing cappers won't crimp the caps tight enough (my red baron won't work)
If you have a benchtop capper(as I now do)-no worries.

The only other thing to note about them is that you really have to pour slowly b/c of the bottle shape. They want to glug, stirring the settled yeast.

I've use a few of them on a regular basis and they work fine.

Like RCCOLA said, the wing cappers won't crimp around the neck very securely when you cap them. All you have to do is make sure that you have them stabilized and put a little extra muscle into it so that the cap definitely seals.

Also, if you like the looks of them but are afraid about the thickness of the glass (although I haven't had any troubles with them), you can use Sierra Nevada bottles which are somewhat similar in shape. Just a thought.

thanks guys.... I bottled carbonated apfelwein in 6 of them and was wondering. I put an ad on craigslist asking to have some sved for me and a guy responded that he threw all of his away because he kept breaking them.

I have about five cases of those bottles. I like them also and have not had any problems with them. My only gripe is that they will not fit into a regular six pack holder.

Back