Quick Lager question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewJr

Reaction score
I'm doing a basic "German Lager" and in the instructions i got its says after transfer to secondary keep temp between 55-48, then after all signs of fermentation have stopped it tells you to drop the temp to 48-32, this is my first lager and what i have read before only talked about keeping it at a constant low temp throughout primary and secondary, so i was just checking with everyone to make sure that i should follow what the instructios say and drop the temp that low, thanks for the help!!

The fermentation phase is usually in the 48-55F range depending on the strain. After fermentation is complete, rack to secondary and slowly drop the temp into the 30's (but don't freeze it), usually 1-2 degrees per day. This is the actual "lagering" of the beer.

ok right on,,,i've had it in secondary for about 36 hours and i just went out and adjusted the temp down a few degrees, so i guess about every other day or so i should drop the temp right? it took almost 3-4 days when i pitched to get goin fermentation wise, so i thought i had a problem but it finally started and all is goin well now!! hope it taste good! thanks for the help!

No problem...just to clarify though (I'm not sure I'm following you): don't start dropping the temp until your fermentation is completely done. This could take 2-4 weeks for a lager. At that point you rack to secondary and begin dropping the temp. If your fermentation is currently active, you should be in good shape!

Latest posts

Back