Easy Clean Sanitizing Solution in Wort/ Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borders

Reaction score
I brewed my first batch last night. I filled the airlock half full as instructed prior to placing it in the fermenter. When placing it in the fermenter lid, most of the sanitizing solution escaped out the bottom of the airlock, (due to a equilibrium/change of pressure) into the fermenter. I then had to refill the airlock and repeat this step. The wort is fermenting just fine. The airlock is bubbling consistently. Because it appears that fermenation is fine, does anyone know what kind of residual affects sanitizing solution (3-4 oz) in the wort/fermenter has. It's a 5 gallon batch of wort. The sanitizing solution is a powder called "Easy Clean" from L.D. Carlson, requiring 1 tablespoon of it to be mixed per gallon of water. It came with my kit. The label does not say what the powder solution is made of. My main concern is the health affects of this in the final bottled beer and whether I should have any concerns of it being toxic to consume when inadevertantly mixed with the wort. Many thanks for any thoughts or advice.

with the little amount of liquid in your bubbler, I wouldn't worry about it. There shouldn't be any ill affect from sanitizer. If the sanitizer was toxic in any way it wouldn't be food safe and you wouldn't find it in your kit.

John

Ill second that, you probably wont notice any difference.

One thing alot of people do is use cheap vodka. Doesnt hurt anything if it falls in, if anything you get a little ABV boost:drunk:

Check out your other replies in the beginners section.

And try to avoid duplicate posts.

Good luck with your brewing. Let us know how it turns out.

Back