Chinook IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meshuggah

Reaction score
So, sometime in the near future I'd like to make an intensely piney, somewhat brutal IPA for winter time. Will Chinook give me the pine I want? Here's my prospective recipe.

4 gallon batch

74% 7 0 American Two-row Pale
21% 2 0 Munich Malt
5% 0 8 American Crystal 60L

boil 60 mins 0.75 Chinook
boil 15 mins 0.5 Chinook
boil 10 mins 0.5 Chinook
boil 5 mins 0.5 Chinook
dry hop 1-2 ounces chinook
WLP001 or US05

Shooting for about 60-70 IBU's and 6.5% abv. I don't like a ton of crystal in my IPA's so I think 5% will do and I'm not entirely sure about the munich and its amount. Any good in IPA's? And at 21%? Thanks all :mug:

I wish I could recall the CYBI episode, but one brewery preferred a blend of 2-row and munich for their British style beers. I don't recall percentages either, but my hunch is you are close to them. IMO I would up the C60 to 10% and drop the Munich to 15% to better balance that hop load. I like your simple grain bill. Checking the reviews on Northern Brewer's Chinook IPA kit (smaller version than your aim) peaks my interest in a Chinook IPA. Look forward to how yours turns out.

Chinook will give that piney flavor/aroma you want. I do my house IPA with lots of Chinook, and I have been looking to boost up the malt presence. Munich may be the ticket.

Looks good to me. Might be on the drier side for an IPA, but it sounds like that's what you're looking for. If it was my recipe, I would probably add half a pound of flaked barley to add some body, but that's my personal preference. I think it works as is.

Chinook is my favorite hop and will add the pine you seek.

Anyone else have some input?

Also, I may potentially throw a little chocolate malt in there to darken it.

My house IPA is a 100% chinook beer.

I've had it called 'christmas tree beer' more than once.

Delicious

Sounds good! Mash mid/high 150s perhaps.

I did the bastard with boatloads of all chinook and 10% spec b rest 2 row and it is mighty tasty. About 130 IBU and the first wort hop seemed to work well with chinook.

You could add a touch of Crystal 120L to darken it as well. What color are you shooting for?

Just did my first ever batch, sounds close...

1.0 lb 2 Row Grain (pinch Crystal malt)
3.3 lb Liquid Extract (Sparkling Amber)
3.0 lb Dry Extract (Pilsen Light)
1.0 lb Brown Sugar
0.5 lb Corn Syrup
0.3 lb Organic Honey
4 oz Maltodextrin
4 oz Cascade Hops 60min
1 oz Chinook Hops every 10 min (5 oz Total)
1 oz Tettnang Hops 1 min
London111 yeast

OG 1.060

shooting for 1.075 area, could have been off though on temps when I took it and didnt mix too well when I added wort to carboy of water..... what do you think?

1 oz Chinook dryhop
boiled another .3 lb honey in 1 cup water and added to carboy when I added my dry hop.

I will start taking my hydro readings end of the week to see if Im ready for bottling.

Tasted good when I syphoned to secondary for dry hoping....

I've had it called 'christmas tree beer' more than once.

Perfect! This is exactly what I'm going for.

You could add a touch of Crystal 120L to darken it as well. What color are you shooting for?

I might make it a typical copper/golden/orange colored IPA, but it is tempting to try and impart that beautiful ruby color that some beers have.

I am, as I type this, having a glass of Northern Brewer's 100% Chinook IPA. It's the third time I've made this recipe and it's awesome. Go for it!

And, FWIW, I've had great results with IPAs with a grain bill of just 2-row and caramel for color. I've never done Munich in an IPA but, having done a Munich SMASH beer, I don't know that it would add all that much. Anyway, happy brewing!

I love Chinook - but if it's a truely piney taste you want - maybe try simcoe! Try a Weyerbacher Double Simcoe as a test to see if you like it. It's what I always have on tap at my house. I love it.

The thing I would do differently is boost those late addition hops. 1.5 oz of late addition hops is OK, but sort of the minimum for making an IPA -- that's more like what I'd use for an APA. I'd make your last 3 kettle additions all at least 1 oz. You'll then need to adjust your 60 addition down because of the extra bitterness you'll get from the flavor additions, but I think this is really important to do if you want that big piney flavor from the Chinook.

I brewed a SMaSH with chinook and to me it doesn't really jump out with pine. I think we used 2 ounces in the brew and 2 ounces in dry hop. Off the top of my head. I'm still searching for the pine board flavor.

looks alot like my house IPA, love this beer

5.90 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.5 %
0.21 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.1 %
0.21 kg Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.1 %
0.21 kg Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.1 %
0.21 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 3.1 %
30.00 g Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 61.6 IBUs
30.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 19.2 IBUs
30.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 11.4 IBUs
30.00 g Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #US-05) [125.00 ml] Yeast 10 -

Back