Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnbikerbrewer

Reaction score
I have been looking at some different pumps lately for handling my wort and I have pretty much settled on the March 809. However, I came across the Sabco Brew-Magic pump motor that they advertised on their website. I haven't really had much luck finding a good comparison of the two besides the price (I have found March pumps for about $120 and the Sabco goes for $199). While I don't exactly have a lot of money to throw around on a pump, I am curious as to if there is something about the Sabco that would make it worth the extra cash. Plus I couldn't really find many specifics about the Sabco. If anyone has any insights on this, I'd appreciate your input.

Maybe you could post a couple links for these two pumps, maybe some specifications? Hard to make a comparison with no data.

hello,
im new in home brew.
i myself started to build an all grain setup, and i rally dont have 120$ for a pump,
does a washing machine pump can be good for homebrewing?? is there anyone here that uses a washing machine pump?
thank you :)

Pump selection depends greatly on the application you intend. Specs on the washing machine pump need to be found before anyone could say yay or nay

You don't really NEED a pump for an AG setup, anyway. I bought one to better use my CFC, but you can certainly rock an immersion chiller indefinitely and never need a pump. Easy enough for everything else to be done with gravity.

first of all thanks for the answers...
secondly, i am building a mash tun that is heated by electricity, and so i heard that i need to circulate my wort during the mash to equale tempartures.
my father and i discussed that and we decided that the best way to do so its a pump.
at start i didn't wanted to use a pump, i intented to use a rotate wort spoon or what ever its called to circulate the wort.
well thank you anyway i guess i just by the march pump 809.
good day :)

just to let you know...
i went to my homebrew shop today to ask about the pump...
he straight a head told me to get a washing machine pump... as long as im not commercialized... so im guessing that that can help you in alternative to an expensive march pump...
:)

I wouldn't use one with out knowing the specs on it. Just because you aren't running a commercial operation doesn't mean you can disregard some of the safety aspects of brewing. If the washing machine pump isn't magnetically or peristaltically driven, you run the risk of motor oil/grease mixing with your wort and not being able to adequately sanitize your pump. Also, if the plastic is not a high temp food grade plastic, you run the risk of leaching off flavors and potentially hazardous chemicals into your wort/beer. So try and do some research on the particular pump you would use, and I imagine since there are 18 million different washing machines out there, there are probably at least 18 million different kinds of pumps used in them, each with their own specs blah blah.

As someone who works in a homebrew shop, I'll say our words are not golden or set in stone. I try to offer guidance to and teach people while at the same time learning from my customers, but I will not tell a person that using something for homebrewing that was not intended to be used for brewing conditions without having done sufficient research. I have not heard of anyone using a washing machine pump and I know nothing of any particular pumps and will not recommend that people use one.

well first thing i have to tell you that i did'nt had in mind to use a non magnetic pump...!
second i have seen a person who uses a washing machine pump to flow his sparge water.
my homebrew shop guy told me that there is no risk in using them but only the formality that should be considered...
i will do a reaserch about the pump i will buy.
thank you.
maybe in the near future i will have more money and then i could efford myself a march pump809. thank you :)

Latest posts

Back