Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a book recommendation by Amazon so I checked it out. It's called "Bottoms up in Belgium." While I was browsing through the pages I came across the author's description of Tripel Karmeliet; "Tastier than a Duvel which is becoming my benchmark for these more than 8 per cent beers. And no desire to vomit as you approach the end of it, which is always a good sign with a beer in this category."

I think there's a place in the red light district called "Bottoms up in Belgium."

Wife and I are on vacation with the in-laws, so naturally I plan on consuming a lot of beers over the week.
Wanting to sample some local fare, I asked the barkeep at a Mexican restaurant what local stuff he had. Conversation went as followed:
Me: What sort of local stuff do you guys have tonight?
Barkeep: We've got Snake River Lager, Pale Ale, and IPA
Me: Sounds good. What would you recommend of the three?
Barkeep: I like the IPA. It's hoppy. AND it's over 6%, which is the best part!
Me:...I'll give it a try.

It was good, but the best part about it wasn't that it had more ABV than a BMC :rolleyes:

Wife and I are on vacation with the in-laws, so naturally I plan on consuming a lot of beers over the week.
Wanting to sample some local fare, I asked the barkeep at a Mexican restaurant what local stuff he had. Conversation went as followed:
Me: What sort of local stuff do you guys have tonight?
Barkeep: We've got Snake River Lager, Pale Ale, and IPA
Me: Sounds good. What would you recommend of the three?
Barkeep: I like the IPA. It's hoppy. AND it's over 6%, which is the best part!
Me:...I'll give it a try.

It was good, but the best part about it wasn't that it had more ABV than a BMC :rolleyes:

Consider yourself ****Ingram lucky. When I was I Mexico I just got Dose Xx and Modelo

I'm only on page 24 of this thread and loving it, but I thought I'd add a recent interaction.

I had my contractor at the house on Friday. I share a sample or two of homebrew with him when he comes because he does little extra stuff for us and doesn't charge us a penny for it. We were down at my bar tasting my Saison and Wee Heavy. He takes a sip of the Wee Heavy and here's the interaction...

Him: I know you're probably going to disagree with me, but this is a lot like Guiness!
Me:....because neither of them are yellow? *facepalm*

I tried to educate him a little, but he couldn't see the light.

Not exactly beer related,but it can be. Was at lowe's looking for some seals & other possible brewery things. Went by the BBQ section (why is it always next to the lawn tractors?!) & saw NC Butt Rub! Apparently,you use the rub powder on her first,then the vinegar sauce before you heat'er up!?:ban:

Heads up; thread derailment coming through....

This isn't something I've heard about beer, but it's something I just saw about beer and had to share. I found it at Bad Ben's Brewing Blog. Every homebrewer needs one of these in his garage, for occasions when his buddies show up on brew day.

http://badbensnanobrewery.blogspot.com/2006/12/yummy-bits-and-new-saison.html

Lovely Roxy.jpg

Heads up; thread derailment coming through....

This isn't something I've heard about beer, but it's something I just saw about beer and had to share. I found it at Bad Ben's Brewing Blog. Every homebrewer needs one of these in his garage, for occasions when his buddies show up on brew day.

http://badbensnanobrewery.blogspot.com/2006/12/yummy-bits-and-new-saison.html

The table or the idea of letting buddies tip the brewer? ...on that note, i may make a tip jar...

So I am going to the Dominican Republic for our honeymoon the first week in July. We are staying at an all inclusive adults only resort to not have to worry about anything while we are on vacation. I got to wondering what they may have there as their standard beers. I came across this post on Trip Advisor:

I pretty much gave up on thinking i would find much other than Presidente at the resorts in Punta Cana. I have tried Presidente Lite, and I can stomach it if I have to, but I am taking 1 1/2 cases of Miller lite on the plane, packed in my checked luggage so that I have some beer I like at least for part of the week. I figured if I alternate b/t the Presidente and the Miller Lite, I won't get so sick of drinking the Presidente. I am pretty much only a beer drinker, so not having a beer I like will make it tougher, but I am on vacation and will manage. Normally I take more beer along, but decided to just bring this much and find something on the resort to drink.

I'm kind of surprised that IPAs with tropical fruit-heavy hops haven't caught on in these beach resort areas, unless the ingredients are just prohibitively expensive for the local breweries to import.

I am taking 1 1/2 cases of Miller lite on the plane, packed in my checked luggage so that I have some beer I like at least for part of the week.

Check that you will not have to pay import tax when you arrive. Customs are weird for some countries. :mug:

costs you $10 just to enter DR. pay at the terminal before you pick up your baggage. after the short, bumpy hop from PR on Panic Airlines

we stayed at an all-inclusive in Punta Cana & I gave up on the beer there, don't even remember what they had. drank gin & limonada the entire time

food was good. entertainment meh & you can set your watch by the 3 times a day it rains/downpours

You may be able to find some more flavorful options if you go to the grocery style stores for the locals. You can always call ahead and see what kinds of beers are available at the resort you are staying in's bar.

In Ecuador they basically have two beers: Club and Pilsener... both made by the same company.

I went there on my honeymoon, and occasionally I would ask locals if they wished that they had more options. Nobody even thought about it. It's probably not unlike the fact that they don't lament not having 32 different types of toilet paper at the grocery store, like you would in the United States (sorry, what was that? A triple negative?).

I even asked an expat (Dutch) guy if he missed having decent beer available, and he didn't much care either.

My wife and I also hit up a microbrewery in Cuenca. The beers they had there were pure swill. It was terrible. It's hard to imagine that there isn't some sort of market there for better tasting beer, but I still don't know enough about the culture. On the other hand, they do have tastebuds. So... v:)v

I just found it hilarious that the guy wouldn't drink Presidente, and actually packed 32 Miller Lights because they are so much better. Offering Presidente is just fine by me, I enjoy it, and will probably be drinking a good amount of liquor. If all they have is the mass market produced stuff, I don't mind, it's going to be very hot, and I drink lots of craft 358 days of the year :)

I absolutely LOVE Dark and Stormies.

On our honeymoon in Curacao, they only had a hand full of beers, mostly Amstel-made. Better than they have here in the states (was a dutch colony at the time), but still not great. I drank TONS of rum. I got turned onto a 23 year old Guatemalan rum called Ron Zacapa. We had an all inclusive package so I was ordering doubles multiple times a day... walk past the bar, grab a Zacapa for the walk back to the hotel room.... ahhhh... yes...

DR is all about rum. My favorite was Coco Loco. Coconut milk, crushed coconut, milk and lots of rum.

I stayed in Punt a Canada. Forget about beer, drink liquor and smoke hand rolled, locally made cigars and you will have a great time.

Old man, probably 75+, at the Dukkum Inn in Kirksville, MO, 8:00 AM in 1993, after I got off night shift. I was talking to my friend about how I felt weird about drinking at 8:00 AM. Old guy turns around from the bar and says, loudly, "Boy, there ain't never no wrong time to be drinking." I will never forget that.

For anyone who believes Belgium is Beervana and all Belgians know their ****, beer-wise:

I had to explain to a self-professed beer-loving friend of mine why his Cantillon cherry Lambic was sour. And flat. That no, it hadn't "gone bad" and no, the bartender hadn't "f**ed it up". He ended up giving it to me "because it was downright foul and yuck" and went on to order a f**ing Kasteelbier (one of the more obnoxiously commercial Belgian sweet-ass Specialty-without-being-at-all-Special beers).

That mount gay rum is good. I get that at the state store over in Avon Lake. They've been making it there for some 300 years! :mug:

Caught this little helpful hint in my recent issue of Pop Mech...
I like that they re featuring a quality craft beer in a can, but seriously, "no one on this side of the Atlantic likes warm beer?". A truly 'Merican thing to say... I would think the tip, while clever, would best be illustrated with a good ol can of BMC...

1401880295338.jpg

There was an add for a Heineken insta-cool gadget about two years ago. Claimed it could cool a can of beer to -2C (about 28F) in 4 seconds. Of course, the only beer anyone could possibly want to cool to freezing temperature would be Heineken.

Also: you had to prep the gadget by storing it for 4 hours...in your freezer. Because that's way more convenient than just freezing a can of crappy lager, isn't it?

Is that article suggesting you empty a can of compressed keyboard cleaning air into a styrofoam cup that is sealed with a beer in it? That is an expensive cooling trick.

Step 1: Wrap beer in a wet paper towel
Step 2: Stick it in the freezer 10-15 minutes

If I am so desperate for a beer that 10 minutes is too long, I'll just drink it warm. Doesn't really bother me.

Step 1: Wrap beer in a wet paper towel
Step 2: Stick it in the freezer 10-15 minutes

If I am so desperate for a beer that 10 minutes is too long, I'll just drink it warm. Doesn't really bother me.

I saw that on Facebook. It was an ad for shock top lol

Myth busters had an episode about cooling beer several years ago. Quickest method was in ice water. Rotate fairly frequently. 70-35 took a minute and a half if I remember correctly. Kinda like the drill video. If they had added water it would've worked better because water transfers heat better than just the can touching the ice. It was interesting that the people in the video were thrilled to drink a 45 degree beer. That's progress I guess. Most bmc'ers would treat a 45 degree beer the same as a 75 degree beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Myth busters had an episode about cooling beer several years ago. Quickest method was in ice water. Rotate fairly frequently. 70-35 took a minute and a half if I remember correctly. Kinda like the drill video. If they had added water it would've worked better because water transfers heat better than just the can touching the ice. It was interesting that the people in the video were thrilled to drink a 45 degree beer. That's progress I guess. Most bmc'ers would treat a 45 degree beer the same as a 75 degree beer.

On an 80degree day I'd welcome 45 beer with open legs

Salted ice with meltoff water would work even faster, wouldn't it? Same principle as an ice cream freezer: pure ice or ice water will bottom out at 32 degrees, but salt lowers the freezing point of water, meaning the mixture is even colder for faster chilling with a colder final temperature if you chill all the way.

If I remember that mythbusters correctly I believe the sated ice water worked the best out of their sample, not including even they blasted a six pack with a co2 fire extinguisher. I don't believe the wet paper towel in the freezer was one they tested. Also all of the beer they tested were in cans.
I don't ever put salt in my cooler water, simply because I don't want my beer that cold. I'm sure I would if it were full of keystone light, on the way to white trashville.
Also is patients not the crest of the home brewer.

Back