How hot does your heat sink get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tandor

Reaction score
Just curious. I recently completed my ekettle build and have been testing it with water. I noticed the heat sink gets pretty hot. I have a 120v 2000w element in a turkey fryer kettle. Got one of the cheap eBay SSR and heat sink combos.

How do you have the SSR and heat sink mounted? If you mounted them inside an enclosure, you need to rethink that plan. Heatsink mounted outside the enclosure is a must. It's the only way that the heat can be vented.

If that's not the case, next question is: How hot is 'hot' in your case?

Just saying...

The heat sink is mounted outside the enclosure. Very similar to jkarp's counter top brutus control panel. I put the tip of my thermopen on it and it read 132 degrees and climbing. Just wasn't sure if this was normal.

Mine ran pretty hot too, enough that it killed an SSR. I mounted a fan to blow across the heatsink....now the heatsink is cool....even when running a 5500 watt element.

Latest posts

Back