Fermenter Chiller/Warmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwAMi75

Reaction score
So here's the deal. I'm going to buy a deep freeze and temp controller to use for fermenting. This setup is going to be out in my "shop". This building will not have climate control year round.

Now, keeping it cool in the warm weather will be a snap. But what about through the winter? Anyone know of a way to maintain a temp in the 60's in a deep freeze when the ambient temp is cooler? I'd rather not have to run heat in the shop.

Here check this out it's from my gallery.
1332-40minsandfermentation.jpg

I did the same thing, if you look on the back wall of the freezer you will see a black square, that is a Brewer's Edge heater, it has self adhesive backing and between the freezer and it, mine stays at about 68. I already had a Temp controller for the cold side and bought another one with the heater from Williams Brewing :http://www.williamsbrewing.com/CONTROLLER_HEATER_PACKAGE_P519C100.cfm There is a controller that will control both but I didn't find it in time it's at More Beer. Once you get that set up you will be ready to rock and roll, right now I have 2 6.5 gal primary's going an 2 5gal secondary's with room to spare.

FLH....that's what I'm after. I'd never seen those heaters before. So I can wire up both the freezer and the heater to a two way controller and be in bidness, eh? I'll have to check it out.

Dude....I was thinking of one of those, but what I want is to be able to dial in a temp and forget about it. I could probably use one of those, but from what I can tell, you can't control its output. So, running it, it would be running at full, plus the freezer would (or might) have to run as well to offset it's output. It might be cheaper to start out with, but I bet it would be way less efficient.

Back