Single Infusion Mash Tun from Midwest Supplies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASantiago

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Midwest Supplies' Single Infusion Mash Tun?

I'm moving to AG and seriously considering purchasing this item.

I noticed it has a false bottom (vs a screen). Will that give me too much of a headache? I've read several people here switching to screen and being happy.

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I'm well aware of the excellent 10 gal cooler to MLT conversion instructions posted here. I may still go for that, but considering the difference in final cost and the fact that I'm not exactly the handiest person :(, outright purchasing the mash tun is looking more attractive. Time is a factor, too.

TIA!

Search for flyguy's cooler mashtun build. Premade is waaaay too expensive.

I noticed it has a false bottom (vs a screen). Will that give me too much of a headache? I've read several people here switching to screen and being happy.

In case anyone is wondering, yes, I'm well aware of the excellent 10 gal cooler to MLT conversion instructions posted here. I may still go for that, but considering the difference in final cost and the fact that I'm not exactly the handiest person :(, outright purchasing the mash tun is looking more attractive. Time is a factor, too.

The false bottom is supposed to be more efficient in theory, but the advantage to using one in a cooler is trivial IMO. I would favor the FB is you were setting up a RIMS or HERMS, but for batch sparging, either will work OK.

The Midwest cooler MT is considerably overpriced IMO, but if you are not handy as you said, it might be the better way for you to go. You could probably cut the cost in half if you built it yourself which would translate to a savings of about $65 maybe. Not a huge amount of money in the big picture. You may not be handy now, but if you stick with this hobby, you soon will be.

i wasn't so handy when i started, either, but now i can solder copper pipe (handy as i'm a homeowner), work with pvc easily, and have a lot more power tools :D ... a trip down to lowes or home depot, $50-60 including the cooler and parts, + 2 hours of your time can get you exactly what you want.

Thanks all for the replies. I'm still on the fence on this. The challenge is that I need it all ready to go by my next brew date, 3/5, and my schedule is fairly full until then.

No one has commented on the suitability to task of the mash tun, but since it's pretty much a fairly standard, commonly used set up, I'm going to assume it will work ok. My inclination is to go for a screen, but if I get a FB I can still put some screening material on top of that. That's what I've done with my mini-masher.

Unless that's just not a good idea...

Go with your own build. It honestly doesnt take any time, maybe 15 minutes. It will be at least half the cost. There are many posts and blogs telling you how to build it. I prefer to use a 48 qt Igloo style ice cooler and a CPVC manifold.

You can print out a parts list and go to Home Depot and buy the parts (some blogs will even list part numbers). The hardest thing to find is the fender washers but at Home Depot they sell Create-a-Bolt by Crown Bolt. This kit includes the elusive 5/8" washer, which is the hardest thing to find.

So:
48 QT cooler (perfect for 5 gallon AG batches) is 39.96
Watts A-298 3/8" female barb adapter 2.98
5/8" Fender washer (Create-A-Bolt kit) 3.47
Watts A-798 3/8" x 1-1/2" brass nipple 2.75
Danco #12 O ring (ID 5/8") pack 10 2.27
Mueller Streamline 3/8 in. Brass Threaded Ball Valve 7.61

Total for cooler and bulkhead is 59.05 (without taxes)

Your next choice is what type of false bottom you want.

You can go with a braided hose which many people do.It is cheap and easy to build. The hardest part is getting the inner rubber tube out of the braid. this attaches to the bulk head by way of a hose clamp. The other end is sealed with a brass plug and a hose clamp.
Watts 1/4 in. Brass Square-Head Plug 1.84
Watts 3/8 in. Compression x 1/2 in. FIP x 16 in. Stainless Steel Faucet Connector 7.24
2 hose clamps

I chose to make a CPVC manifold, Sounds complicated but easy as pie. All you need is a length of 1/2" CPVC pie, 3 CPVC "T"'s, and 4 CPVC 90 degree Elbows.
You will also need a adapter that screws onto the threaded end of the brass nipple inside the cooler that allows you to slip the manifold on to it. Ask the guy at HD, he will know what it is. this maybe a few dollars more, but it works like a dream. All you need is a cheap hacksaw. Cut the CPVC pipe into small sections and form a rectangle with a bar in the middle, so that you have three cross pieces (should look like 2 rectangles sideby side)

This method will bump up your efficiency and prevents channeling. Just remember not to make it fit the inside of the cooler perfectly. You need some distance between the inside of the cooler and the manifold. You dont have to glue the pieces together, they are snug enough when put together by hand (great for cleaning). Finally , use the hacksaw and cut a bunch of small grooves on all the straight pieces. Only have to cut halfway way through.

And if you cant get to HD, order online and it will be shipped to you. I promise, it will take you 15-20 minutes to build this and you can spend the savings on your grain bill, hops and yeast for your first batch and still have money left over.

Back