ok tons of mistakes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good. Some yeast rafts on the surface and signs of a krausen ring.
Another week, or so, with lower temps towards the end of the week should see the yeast rafts sink. Check then to see if your SG is the same as now. If it is you could bottle and condition for a decent amount of time. If SG has dropped again from the present reading you'd better take another a couple of days After that to see if it has stabilized, then if it has you could bottle. Bulk aging in secondary is also an alternative should you feel it necessary, although you can get just as good, if not better (less risk of incurring an infection or oxidization if you don't transfer to secondary), results by leaving it in primary for quite an extended period.

I take it you added the other pack of BRY-97(?).

By the way, if my calculations are correct (using the estimated OG from beercalculus for your fermentables, with your reported FG, so 1.077 and 1.012), I'd say you've got an ABV of about 8.5%, as is, so using some of the champagne yeast to help carbonation might be a good idea, unless you can get verification that the BRY-97 can handle that high an ABV.

Having said that, are you sure your hydrometer is accurately calibrated?? Your FG seems remarkably low considering the fermentables used.

Can I bottle half of this beer and secondary the other half in a 5 gallon better bottle? Just use half as much priming sugar? Would the extra air space in the better bottle cause problems?

If you bottled half and racked the remainder into a 5 gallon carboy/better bottle I suspect there'd be too much head-space, plus you'd be lacking the protective CO2 blanket that was there during primary, so leaving the beer prone to some wild yeast/bacteria to get in there and start an infection. Having said that, your brew should be relatively high ABV, which should offer a certain amount of protection against infection. A 3 gallon secondary vessel MIGHT be a different story. Personally, I wouldn't recommend doing a secondary anyway. Just bottle the lot and keep the half you were going to secondary in a cozy, dark place for a few months. That should age the beer nicely, even if not in quite the same way as bulk aging might have.:tank:

Just my honest opinion.

Back