High Gravity?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

attitude

Reaction score
What should the gravity be on like a kit Nut Brown Ale? fermentation stopped and i transferred to a secondary. took a gravity reading and its up around 1.025. it sounds a little high. should i transfer back to primary and pitch more yeast. house has been a little cold . help

Did you add the right amount of water to the kit? It should be enough for a 5 gallon batch if it is a standard home brew KIT.

If you did not that is why your gravity seems so high. also, if your temp is not around the 60s then the hydro reading will be off as well.

DUUHHHHH, just re-read your post. Ok, me being an idiot aside, yeah that is kinda high, but the moving from primary to secondary should trigger the yeast to eat again as they get suspended in the solution. I think you will be ok, watch for it to start fermenting again in day or so. if not you may want to consider adding some additional yeast to help it finish out.

The nut brown kit i had said 1.012 - 1.014 if that helps, the starting grav was suppose to be between 1.049 and 1.051

Back