The World Cup Approacheth

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jiminy Christmas.

with another disallowed goal. That one falls squarely under the 'these things happen in football' category though, tight decision that the linesman had to make in a split second. Could have gone either way

Yeah, I was trying to explain that earlier. I think the US is just far too accustomed to stopping play for 10 minutes while a ref looks at the slow motion replay on his monitor.

I have to say though, that the USA had to overcome a LOT of bad luck as far as decisions go to get through. Hopefully they will get some decisions go their way in the next match. Let's see if they complain about bad decisions when they go in their favour. ;)

Just got done explaining to co worker why 1 goal in 90+ minutes is far more exciting than a combined 300 points in the 48 minute basketball game. Some just don't understand.

The thing with a basektball game like that is that the last minute is the only really exciting part assuming it's a close game. That's why this soccer match was so exciting. Kind of a yawner at first, but as time ticks off it builds more and more.

That's why most folks in the US just won't get into soccer. Yeah, this one was freaking exciting, but if it ended 0-0 and there's no payoff at the end, one way or another, most Americans just see it as a let down. Give me a shootout and I'll watch soccer more. Overtime would be even better. Make 'em stay out there until someone puts the ball in the goal!

That's why this soccer match was so exciting. Kind of a yawner at first,

Let me stop you right there. Knowing the stakes at the start of the game, and the fact that 1 goal makes all the difference, even if the game was played poorly, it is NOT a yawner if you want your team to win. You can crap your pants in the first minute at a near miss.

I am fine with decisions going either way, it just gets my goat when they directly affect the outcomes of games. If the league position is that the benefit goes to an attacking player, it should be that way. Not 'well it looked close to me' so I called it no goal.

The red card must have been for what the players were doing to the ref after the no call. That was pretty intense they almost hit him multiple times and Yebda was literally yelling in his ear from 3 inches away.

Personally, I feel like the officiating was spotty in this game as well. Jozi A. was getting mangled out there with no calls, some calls were made for ticky-tack, and some big collision calls were never made. I just feel like the last two US games were the worst I have seen officiated in the tourney, and I have watched most of the games.

@Cheschire- how could you say it was a yawner? This game could have easily had 6 goals in it (4-2 US IMO). Missed opportunities, strong counter attacks, hit goal posts, the whole bag of doughnuts. It was crazy from start to finish.

My only complaint is that I felt like Algeria was never playing to win. I understand the 'try to take advantage of the US soft defense against the counter' thing, but they should have been attacking more in the second half IMO. I am happy with the outcome, but it seemed a bit lame of them to me.

I recognize that, and I think today's game was better. The US v. Slovenia game was awful both ways though.

I haven't watched the England game yet, did you say they had a disallowed goal too? fair?

I'll have to add the caveat that I was following the game online, so I missed much of what you folks saw. When I said "yawner" I was referring more to that type of game in general. No scoring so it's not as exciting until later as the tension builds waiting to see if that one goal will come to put you over the top.

I recognize that, and I think today's game was better. The US v. Slovenia game was awful both ways though.

I haven't watched the England game yet, did you say they had a disallowed goal too? fair?

Fair, yeah, it was offside. It just amused me that it happened so soon after the US one.

England played a lot better than the six year old girls they have been, but they will still have to ramp it up when they go against better opposition. At least this time they showed some cohesion.

I'll have to add the caveat that I was following the game online, so I missed much of what you folks saw. When I said "yawner" I was referring more to that type of game in general. No scoring so it's not as exciting until later as the tension builds waiting to see if that one goal will come to put you over the top.

I'm still not getting your point. One goal makes the difference. USA needed to score one to stay in the tournament not knowing the other results. This is why you watch every pass and look at the possibilities for an attack. You watch the game and hope that the player passes to the guy that you can see is in a good position.

If you are just looking at the scoreboard and not the game, then you are seriously missing the whole point of the game.

People that think football games are boring need to go to a bar where there are lots of real football fans. Try to tell me every second isn't exciting then!

Hold on, I think I understand it now. Most American sports are all about the stats. This is why you get baseball cards and stuff full of them. Everyone wants to know in football how many yards someone made, or in baseball how many home runs etc.

S#ccer is just not like this. Sure, you see live stats online, but nobody really takes any notice of them. The game is more about composure, tactics, skill, and seeing the will to win. It would be easy to set up a points system. 1 point for gaining a corner, 3 points for a goal, maybe even a point for missing the goal by shooting over the top......But the whole point is to get a goal, not almost get a goal, or get the ball to the other end. This is why goals are so important, and so difficult to score......This is why goals are crystal meth to a s#ccer fan.

EDIT: Please excuse me if I seem terse. I am high on crystal meth right now. ;)

S#ccer is just not like this. Sure, you see live stats online, but nobody really takes any notice of them. The game is more about composure, tactics, and seeing the will to win. It would be easy to set up a points system. 1 point for gaining a corner, 3 points for a goal, maybe even a point for missing the goal by shooting over the top......But the whole point is to get a goal, not almost get a goal, or get the ball to the other end. This is why goals are so important, and so difficult to score......This is why goals are crystal meth to a s#ccer fan.

No, you got it right on there. Goals. To the average American saying "We ended in a scoreless tie, but we ALMOST scored 6 times!" isn't exciting. That's what I was referring to. As exciting as the game was for you, you have to admit that the last 5 minutes were more exciting than the first 5 minutes, right? If not, then I REALLY don't get it. And if the game ended without a score, it would've been a HUGE let down.

No, you got it right on there. Goals. To the average American saying "We ended in a scoreless tie, but we ALMOST scored 6 times!" isn't exciting. That's what I was referring to. As exciting as the game was for you, you have to admit that the last 5 minutes were more exciting than the first 5 minutes, right? If not, then I REALLY don't get it. And if the game ended without a score, it would've been a HUGE let down.

In the case of the USA, a tie would have been a defeat. We would have gone out. To have had a penalty shootout to decide a winner in the event of a tie would be unfair to the other teams in the group......Not to mention that a shoot out is akin to a lottery.

Crap. I work from home, but i'm too drunk and happy to do any more today. I guess I'll have to try and make up the time later. I give up!

In the case of the USA, a tie would have been a defeat. We would have gone out. To have had a penalty shootout to decide a winner in the event of a tie would be unfair to the other teams in the group......Not to mention that a shoot out is akin to a lottery.

That's why I vote for overtime. Give 'em 15 minutes to catch their breath and then send 'em back out until someone scores! :D

Not to interrupt your discussion guys...

Good god I don't know if I can handle watching any more of our(us) games... I feel depleted... Emotional mish mash...

That was probably one of the harder games I've sat through, and I've played probably 400+ games of soccer in my lifetime....

Here's to our game on Saturday :mug:

That's why I vote for overtime. Give 'em 15 minutes to catch their breath and then send 'em back out until someone scores! :D

They will have extra time in the knock out phase. 15 minutes each way. (30 mins) Not sure what the rules are regarding the first goal. They keep messing with it. Maybe sudden death, I dunno.

Anyone know the rules for extra time in the knockout phase for this tournament?

Not to interrupt your discussion guys...

Good god I don't know if I can handle watching any more of our(us) games... I feel depleted... Emotional mish mash...

That was probably one of the harder games I've sat through, and I've played probably 400+ games of soccer in my lifetime....

Here's to our game on Saturday :mug:

Agreed, go USA! :mug:

(And England of course) ;)

Looked at the brackets, if both teams win a few it could be England-USA in the final. Unlikely, but it would be interesting with both teams starting and ending the world cup with each other.

It always works that way from the groups. That was my evil plan all the time! MWAHHAHAHA! :D

Just watched the replay on that goal. Ya know, it looks like the Algerian keeper had the ball after the first shot and it was knocked away by one of his own teammates, giving us that second chance goal. That's really gotta suck!

Tough to call, Gnome

ITA just went down 2-0 to SVK at the 74 min mark wow

Yep super close call. Couldn't even see it really well on camera. Doesn't matter now, 2-0. Unreal. First time ever that both finalists from the previous Cup get knocked out int he group stage.

Latest posts

Back