Aroma hops flavour disapearing in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Any suggestions on keeping the aromatic of the hops after bottling..as i condition for 12 weeks and i always sample after 3 weeks and the aroma all butt disappear

That's just the way it is. The main thing is you need to drink hoppy styles younger. 12 weeks is pretty insane. You could be drinking them at 5 weeks easy. Also big flameout additions and dry hops. More hops.

oh ok so my efforts to get a good stockpile wasn't such a good thing after all... i guess i will role back my brewing and try adding more hops....

A decent zero minute hopstand seems to hold up better than dry hops. But hop flavors and aromatics will fade with time. Generally hoppy beers should be drunk young - you should start drinking them after 3 weeks in the bottle, and most bottles are gone a week or three later.

To build a stockpile, start making some Porters, Stouts, Saisons, etc. Some of those beers will improve with time. Maybe toss in Barley Wine too.

12 weeks? Why?

Often keep my carbing bottles at near the upper end of the temp range for the yeast to get them to carb faster. Can get a drinkable amount of carbonation after a couple of days.

I routinely put 8oz of hops into my 5 gal batches with a 3 oz dry hop and I've noticed that after a month th hops drop off so 3 months is a looooong time for a std IPA to hold that, if it was a double IPA maybe but typically I've realized my bottled IPAs last a month before they start to lose their punch.

I made the same mistake starting out. I thought I could brew once or twice a week throughout the winter and leave myself a hefty stash of hoppy homebrew for the summer months when I don't typically brew. I was bummed out when June rolled around and all those IPAs had lost their luster.

I agree with Calder. Brew styles that respond well to aging for your stash and drink the hoppy beers fresh.

Also, if you ever get the desire/ability to keg, you'll probably find that hoppy kegged beers stay fresh a lot longer.

Thanks for everyones great advise i will start drinking my hoppy beer alot sooner ...and i would love to get into kegging one day

What you could try (at your own risk)in desperation is to make a concentrated solution of hop extract with (drinking)alcohol. You may be able to purchase a product called KleenExtract(on the web), a 200-proof alcohol, going for $80/gal in Manchester, NH, or try 151-proof Bacardi Rum instead.
You may have to filter the hop solids out, as they tend to cause a geyser when opening bottle.
Some advantages: you can prepare only what you need at the time; you can san'ze cap, open, add extract, as much as you want, recap; The oils in the extract improve the settling of the yeast. Try it.

Back