Brewing my first 10 bbl batch !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bass0721

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently got offered to take over a brewery. The last brewer walked out. The owner wants to rent to us and purchase the kegs for the pub. We have been going back and fourth with the lawyers about everything from the partners agreement to setting up the LLC. We will pay rent ($200 a month) and have full contol over the brewery as owners. We have the option to buy the current equipment, but for now we can use it as long as we wish, as along as we keep producing beer for the pub. When our liscense comes back from the TTB and the Farmers brew license for the state (MA), everything with change over to us and our name. Looks like I will be brewing 10 bbls a week, starting this wen. I have a friend who owns a local brewery who has been awesome to us. He has offered to help us clean the equipment (the last brewery cleaned nothing....mash, kettle, tanks....). We have enough gain to brew about 4 batches, so atlest we can get caught up there. I realize that the money is going to take some time to start coming in, but i think we will be alright. Our expenses are rent, utilites and materials. We also are paying for all the paperwork, not as expensive as I thought it might me. So, tues we will clean and wen we will brew our first 10 bbl batch...going to be a pale (keep it simple for the first one). Whish me luck.

Wow! Good luck man! I'll have to drop by the next time I'm passing through Sturbridge.

Thanks man! the brewery will be in Southbridge. We are already thinking about supporting local home brewers, hosting events and helping with technical questions and maybe selling grain and hops. not sure yet about all of it.

This is a fantastic opportunity!

Can you take some pictures of the setup? I would love to see them.

What kind of brewhouse is it? (Steam, direct fire, MLT, etc)

Best of luck to you

Good luck man. Sounds like a crazy couple days coming up. I don't envy the clean up after some a$$hole left everyting to rot.

Wow! I'm jealous. Make beer for a living and you don't even have to figure out how to get it into the stores, or create a restaurant to go with the beer. Make tasty beer and enjoy the ride!

i recently got offered to take over a brewery. The last brewer walked out. The owner wants to rent to us and purchase the kegs for the pub. We have been going back and fourth with the lawyers about everything from the partners agreement to setting up the llc. We will pay rent ($200 a month) and have full contol over the brewery as owners. We have the option to buy the current equipment, but for now we can use it as long as we wish, as along as we keep producing beer for the pub. When our liscense comes back from the ttb and the farmers brew license for the state (ma), everything with change over to us and our name. Looks like i will be brewing 10 bbls a week, starting this wen. I have a friend who owns a local brewery who has been awesome to us. He has offered to help us clean the equipment (the last brewery cleaned nothing....mash, kettle, tanks....). We have enough gain to brew about 4 batches, so atlest we can get caught up there. I realize that the money is going to take some time to start coming in, but i think we will be alright. Our expenses are rent, utilites and materials. We also are paying for all the paperwork, not as expensive as i thought it might me. So, tues we will clean and wen we will brew our first 10 bbl batch...going to be a pale (keep it simple for the first one). Whish me luck.

buy the equipment

Wow! That's probably the coolest thing I've heard in a while. And that's close enough I feel like taking a drive just to cheer you on as you pull into the parking lot on your first day of work. :mug: Seriously, though, keep us posted on the details and when those of us in-state can stop by for a tour and a tasty brew.

(and if you don't buy the equipment, let me know so I know to go look for a U-Haul and a few investors. ;))

I live about 20 minutes away from you and my sister just moved to Sturbridge! Let me know if you need a hand cleaning or brewing or anything, i was thinking of starting something up in Mass since the laws are a lot more leniant (farmer brewer doesnt really exist in CT)

Would be cool to see your setup!

Grats :)

Thanks to everyone for all the support !!

Spent about 5 hours cleaning the equipment the other day :(
there was still fluid in every one of the vessels. Thank god for my friend who owns his own brewery, he sent his staff down to help me figure out the CIP (Clean in Place). Ran 2 cycles of caustic through and then 3 hot water rinse cycles. Now they all shine! Some things are kind of put together wrong, so we took some time to fix all of the problems. Brewing today, 10 bbls of a nice pale. I dont know all of the reasons why the brewer that was there walked out, I didn't want to get involved with all the drama. For now we are not buying the equipment, but will in the near future. We want to see if it might be better to buy some upgrades. The kettle and the mash both have a steam jacket, all of the fermenters have a gycol system. here are some of the pics...the pic with someone in it is of my friend who is the head brewer at Pioneer Brewing, and a cleaning god !

Kettle.jpg

Mash.jpg

Fermenters.jpg

016.jpg

Good luck man. Sounds like a crazy couple days coming up. I don't envy the clean up after some a$$hole left everyting to rot.

there was still a bag of hops hanging inside one of the vessels when we opened it up and it had 22 PSI in the tank...not good. The last brewer made an IPA (months ago) and never cleaned. really, cleaning this crap only takes about and hour..well, it;s all spotless now.

The name of the pub is the dark horse tavern, we have a lawyer researching names for our brewery to check on copyright restrictions. Our lawyer is filling all othe paperwork for the TTB and the state. Much easier to have an expert do it.

Let us know when you get a few on tap. I live about 1.5 hours away & would love to support the cause.....12oz at a time :mug:

Let us know when you get a few on tap. I live about 1.5 hours away & would love to support the cause.....12oz at a time :mug:

thanks man ! should have the plae on tap in about 10-12 days. in six weeks we want to have all six of the taps at the tavern loaded up. brewing a stout next week.

there was still a bag of hops hanging inside one of the vessels when we opened it up and it had 22 PSI in the tank...not good. The last brewer made an IPA (months ago) and never cleaned. really, cleaning this crap only takes about and hour..well, it;s all spotless now.

Good thing you got to it before a vessel blew. I bet that smelt lovely :cross:

I wish all I had to do was pump cleaner and rinse water through. Glad to hear the clean up wasn't too painstaking.

That is spectacular!

Guess I now have another reason to go to Sturbridge! :) Other than bringing the kids to "The Village" and Picadilly Pub ;) Where are you located in relation to rt 20?

Latest posts

Back