Double IPA Pliny the Elder Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed this Thursday night. OG was 1.066. Intense hop aroma! Pitched 2 packets of bry-97 and fermenting at 60F, it's already going pretty good! Can't wait!

Brewed this Thursday night. OG was 1.066. Intense hop aroma! Pitched 2 packets of bry-97 and fermenting at 60F, it's already going pretty good! Can't wait!

Went from 1.066 down to 1.010. Kegged last night. Aroma was amazing! Still bitter, a few weeks in keg will mellow bitterness down. Past the bitterness, the flavor was wonderful, intense citrusy flavor and aroma. Should make a fantastic beer once chilled and carbed. Can't wait!!

Never used BRY-97, hope it's like 001 or 56.

BRY-97 is Danstar's version of the West Coast (Chico) strain, just like 001 and US05.

And another goes in the primary. 6 weeks until heaven arrives in earth.

Took sample to local homebrew supply store. Brewmaster said it was the best he's tasted. A bit dryer then original. No credit to me, but nice having direct feedback. Since my experimental DIPA is ho hum, Pliny's on the brew schedule.

Brewed Pliny the Elder Clone today with @mazourka-joe

Hit our target og of 1.070! On the money!!! 30 min recirculating BIAB.

24 lbs 1.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 87.2 %
1 lbs 1.5 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.9 %
1 lbs 1.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 50 (50.0 SRM) Grain 3 3.9 %
1 lbs 5.8 oz Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 4 4.9 %
6.76 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 90. Hop 5 164.4 IBUs
1.45 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 45. Hop 6 30.2 IBUs
1.93 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 31.3 IBUs
4.55 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.82 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.8 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 10 -
1.82 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
1.82 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
1.82 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.45 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.45 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.45 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431927682.304728.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1431927754.654490.jpg

Guys, where I live there is no corn sugar, do you think it would be possible to switch with refined cane sugar?

Never seen this "soapy" looking stuff before.....I used US-05..........normal?

FGDFDF.jpg

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to this forum. It takes a while to digest all the information. I'm planning to try a clone at this and tried to suck in all the information I could about this recipe and others' experiences. I'll chime back in when I can do a comparison, but in the mean time here is my summary of the the PTE recipe on my own little blog page.

Btaz,

The link you provided for your blog seems to be dead. Can you post your summary? In particular, I'm looking for the water profile that you used.

Thanks in advance!!

Btaz,

The link you provided for your blog seems to be dead. Can you post your summary? In particular, I'm looking for the water profile that you used.

Thanks in advance!!

In moving now so my server is down. I'll follow up with you when I'm up and running again.

In moving now so my server is down. I'll follow up with you when I'm up and running again.

My Web server is back up and my link should be working again. Here is the water profile I used

Calcium (CA) 76
Magnesium (MG) 13
Sodium (NA) 9
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 26
Sulfate (SO4) 133
Chloride (CL) 56

All the way from NZ. I am just polishing off a bottle of this. I now understand the hype behind it. The pioneering beer of IPA/IIPA. Well made. The only time I'll ever get to try it but just superb.
Tbh the whole RR Range is phenomenal. Sours are particularly well made.

My Web server is back up and my link should be working again. Here is the water profile I used

Calcium (CA) 76
Magnesium (MG) 13
Sodium (NA) 9
Bicarbonate (HCO3) 26
Sulfate (SO4) 133
Chloride (CL) 56

Thanks for sharing. Been going back and forth between brewing a blond, RIS or Pliny tomorrow. Pliny won out.

Overboiled. Will probably be around 9% range. Hoppy and bitter as $hit...perfect!

Beersmith put my estimated OG at 1.071... We celebrated after it was hit.

Russian River's PEC is advertised as 1.071 og too... what am I missing...?

I had an open bag of mosaic. So put .3oz fwh and .4 during whirlpool. My recipe is slowly morphing from a true clone, but that's how we roll as HB'ers.

Oh and used your mineral profile. Thanks Btaz!

Mine is going to the keg tomorrow, hit the OG and FG right at te spot...the smell is fantastic!!! Great chances to be the best of all my brews!

Thanks for the recipe!

well today was the day I bottled......35 days later. FG was 1.020.......hope it's not too sweet. But in the beginning, it took along time for the cake to fall. Two weeks from now.........???

well today was the day I bottled......35 days later. FG was 1.020.......hope it's not too sweet. But in the beginning, it took along time for the cake to fall. Two weeks from now.........???

Well buddy, that sounds way high. If you prime, you're likely to get bottle bombs... But at the same time, what are you going to do? Prime light... Very light...

Well buddy, that sounds way high. If you prime, you're likely to get bottle bombs... But at the same time, what are you going to do? Prime light... Very light...

well after two weeks in the bottle I'll try one, if it's good stuff. I'll put all the bottles in refrigeration .

Yumm, hop smoothy, good idea! Pliny came out at 9.2%. Finished at 1.010, driest beer I've ever made. Seems too dry. Anyway 1st dry hop completed.

Edit: keg sample great as usual.

I brew mine last Friday (7/3), as of last night, 3 days later, there is sign of fermentation but the bubbler isn't bubling. Should I be concern? I've seen video and read comments of people having issue with too strong of fermentation.

I pitched 1.5L yeast starter at 80ish degree. I used Wyeast 1056.

Latest posts

Back