Quick Cider Questions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckBrewer

Reaction score
First batch has been goin since Saturday and it's been fermenting furiously! :ban:

OG was 1.050, I know it should be in the 1.06x range, but hey, lessons learned. Anyway, seems like the fermentation is finally slowing so I took a grav reading and a taste. First off, it is DAMN good! Slightly sweet with a dry finish, which was what I was going for. Here's the first question,

1. My SG was 1.024, that seems high to me, but I'm not sure as this is my first batch. I'm going to take another reading on Sat to check and see if it's done.

Question 2. Has anyone ever had one finish in the 1.02x range? And, if I leave it or cold crash it will that lower the FG?

I think I want to hit about 1.014ish for FG.

Thanks y'all!

Cold crashing won't lower the gravity. It will drive the yeast out but i doubt it will work at a gravity of 1.024. I've never been able to stop it that high unless I pasteurized it.
An OG of 1.050 is OK.
Give it time. What yeast did you use?

Used Safale-04. Wanted 05, but they didn't have it. I wanted something sweeter than champagne yeast.

I usually use SO-4 and have never been able to cold crash it below 1.010. and let it get warm. If you leave it in the fridge that is fine. Read C-Kevins sticky and there is some info in there that will help.

Back