Can I store my yeast in my fermenter instead of the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik53

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to wash yeast for the first time. I don't have much room in the fridge right now, so is there any reason I couldn't just keep the yeast in my fermenter at 65F temp? What could go wrong if I store it at 65F degrees? Thanks!

since the yeast has no wort or other food to work on, the yeast will go dormant, then you leave room for other nasties to get in, infect the liquid beer leftover and spoil it all. The washing process and refrigeration puts the yeast into deep sleep and will avoid spoilage...

Ever heard of Yeast Autolysis

Autolysis is the process of self-digestion of the body content of a cell bits own enzymes. The slow disintegration and breakdown of the membrane of yeast cells, in the fermentation medium, allows for the passage of nitrogen into the beer, mead or wine. As the yeast cell dies, it ruptures, releasing several off flavors into the product including sulfur and rubber.

Like Pompeiisneaks said, when left without food the yeast start going dormant, but they can only survive when they're not active. Chilling helps prevent them from destroying their own reserves.

Back