Super simple, irritating electrical problem - help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoCornOrRice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so I got my 10gal e-brewing system all wired up and checked over by an electrically-inclined buddy...good to go. Pulled the drawer out from under the stove and went to plug it in. The recepticle for the stove is mounted really low to the floor, and the plug I have will not fit because of this. The existing stove plug is bent severely, and just barely makes the fit.

Is there some sort of adaptor block that will allow me to use my plug at 90 degrees so the cord comes out the side?

Or is it possible to order a stove plug where the wiring comes out the back, rather than the bottom?

Going into the wall to move or rotate the existing recepticle is not an option (renting)

can you turn your socket (on the wall) 90* so that what is currently pointing at the floor points to the left, say?

BSD

thanks guys - my camera battery is charging, I can post a pic later.

I *probably* can rotate the socket 90*, but since I rent my place, I really don't want to mess around with their stuff.

thanks - that is exactly the kind of thing I am looking for, but I am having a really hard time finding one that is made for a stove recepticle and 240v / 30+a

df824a89799c03988eb96032b32419e5

fingerwalks.com

I had a look at that link, and while the cord is less beefy than the one I have, I don't think it will fit either. I'll take a picture as soon as I can (later today). In the meantime, here is the receptacle type I have:

receptacle2.jpg

Cant you just pull the plug out, rotate it 180 degree's then put it back on? Be sure to trip your breaker first!

NoCornOrRice said:
I had a look at that link, and while the cord is less beefy than the one I have, I don't think it will fit either. I'll take a picture as soon as I can (later today). In the meantime, here is the receptacle type I have:

Looks like the 50 amp stuff I'm using to power my spa panel and control panel.

It looks like Canadian Tire carries the same pigtail as the range uses. (figures, its the only major store I hadn't already called) I'll get it tomorrow and let people know if it works and the clearance required by the NOMA range plug

I think you could easily rotate that plate 90 degrees. Of course kill the range breaker first and pull out the range.

If there are any electricians reading this, think about the eBrewer next time you rough in a range receptacle. I certainly will:)

You may be renting the place, but you'd actually be doing the landlord a favor if the 90 on the cord went any other way (90°/180°/270°) as opposed to try and cram it in toward the bottom. Kill the juice, take the cover off. If you don't have enough slack, so be it, put the cover back and it's back to square one. If you have the slack, it's a win-win situation. By the way, what is that metal rail in front of the outlet?

You may be renting the place, but you'd actually be doing the landlord a favor if the 90 on the cord went any other way (90°/180°/270°) as opposed to try and cram it in toward the bottom. Kill the juice, take the cover off. If you don't have enough slack, so be it, put the cover back and it's back to square one. If you have the slack, it's a win-win situation. By the way, what is that metal rail in front of the outlet?

Shouldn't need any slack. Worst case scenario is you unscrew the terminals, turn outlet 180*, reconnect wires. Everything is in place, just might not have the slack to twist, but definitely enough to rotate the outlet one way or another.

The metal rail appears to be a shipping brace that was never removed... that will be taken care of, otherwise it would be way too hard to connect the e-brew plug.

While I'd love to just rotate 90* and be done, I'll try the Canadian Tire plug.

Latest posts

Back