Czech vs. US Saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C4PNJ4ZZ

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a Belgian Golden Strong. For a 6gallon batch the recipe calls for a 90 min Czech saaz addition of 2.25 oz. AHS carries US Saaz at 6.5% (vs 3.5% for Czech).

Would I be better off substituting something like styrian goldings, or just reducing the amount and using the US Saaz. I'd like to stay on style, but I imagine its not such a big deal since I'm only doing a 90 minute addition.

:mug:

I would use the US Saaz. Its not the same as Czech saaz for aroma and flavor, similiar but not exactly alike. To me its a bit more herbal than the czech saaz.

I think I'm going to go with Sterling 6%AA and knock it back a little bit for bitterness

For a 90 minute addition, use whichever is cheapest (likely US) and adjust the amount based on the AA %. For a late flavor/aroma addition or a dry hop, use the Czech hops.

OG 1.072
I'm doing a hybrid of the Duvel clone on here and the Golden strong from Brewing classic styles. I just don't think I will be able to wait the 4 months for it to condition.

I did find a 3 year old bottle of Duvel in SWMBOs closet this week! She got it for me for xmas a few years ago and has been using it as a bookend. That will hold me over one snowy night.

I like to use Saaz and Saaz.

I use the higher AA US Saaz for bittering, and the milder Czech Saaz for flavor and aroma. It has worked out very nice every time I have tried it.

AHS is out of biscuit until tomorrow, so I have a little time before I order. So you think I won't notice a difference with US Saaz? i've read it can have a harsher bitterness.

Back