oxi clean and swing top bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnmilford

bigger than most
Reaction score
Will oxi clean harm the seals on swing top bottles? We were gifted some a while ago and I'm going through them now. I don't know if I'll ever use them I just need to clean them up. It's been driving me crazy knowing they are there and not more than a star san soak away from use. Thanks for any answers.

:mug:

Will oxi clean harm the seals on swing top bottles? We were gifted some a while ago and I'm going through them now. I don't know if I'll ever use them I just need to clean them up. It's been driving me crazy knowing they are there and not more than a star san soak away from use. Thanks for any answers.

:mug:

If they are really old, I would change the seals out. But I have used PBW (basically oxi-clean) on my swing-tops with no issues. I usually soak them for 2min, rinse with a bottle jet, then soak for 2min in idaphor...that is my bottle routine. No issues to date with multiple batches using Grolsh and EZ-Cap.

-Todd

If they are really old, I would change the seals out. But I have used PBW (basically oxi-clean) on my swing-tops with no issues. I usually soak them for 2min, rinse with a bottle jet, then soak for 2min in idaphor...that is my bottle routine. No issues to date with multiple batches using Grolsh and EZ-Cap.

-Todd

Thanks Homer, none of them appear to be in bad shape almost new in fact. The guy who gave them to us is a beer guy @ a local liquor store and a home brewer. They just need a delabeling and general cleaning. I figure a nice 20-30 min soak should do the trick. I've got about 6 cases of various sizes to clean up. cheers :mug:

Same experience as Todd.

I usually remove the gasket when the bottle is opened and toss it in the rinse bucket alongside the empties. The gaskets go through whatever soaking the bottles get (a couple hours) and then an Iodophor rinse. So far they have held up quite well though I am only on the fifth re-use of this batch of swing-tops.

Another hint... only somewhat related... when you close the bottle up be sure that the flip-top is even with the bottle to assure the best seal and even wear on the gasket.

I just picked up a case of 22 oz amber swing top bottles that looked like they had been sitting for about 5 years. All of them had tons of mold inside, so I just soaked them in Oxyclean for 3 hours and it all came out in the foam.

I'm no expert, but the gasket can be very old as long as you align it evenly and make sure you have a good seal before closing the swing bar.

Back