Colder fermintation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykayel

Reaction score
I brewed on Saturday, so its been in the fermenter 4 days now and the bubbling has really slowed down (about once ever 3-4 minutes) but I have my fermenter in the basement and it has also cooled down due to some colder weather. It started out around 63 degs and right now its hovering around 60 degs and I think it might drop a litte further over night. Should I move the fermenter or just let it be? Will there be any ill effect by the colder temp? FYI, I'm using Nottingham ale yeast and this is a Irish Red extract kit.

Also, I was planning on moving it to a secondary. And I know some people don't even use a seconday, but when should you transfer it over to the secondary?

The lower temperature shouldn't be a problem, although it will slow down the finish.

You should transfer to the clearing tank after 3 days without a change in the specific gravity.

If you had activity for 4 days, you will be fine. I always leave in the primary for 7 full days. Leave in secondary for at least 7 days or more for better clarity--depending on type of beer. Some people use the 1-2-3 method. 1 week primary, 2 weeks in secondary and 3 more weeks in bottle. I don't have the patience so I use the 1-1-3 method. Some people skip the secondary altogether and go right to the the bottle. Beer reaches it's peak taste after being in the bottle about 5-6 weeks in my opinion. Too bad mine is usually all gone after 4 weeks in the bottle....

Latest posts

Back