Re-purpose a Dual Gauge Regulator to be a Secondary Regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inamays

Reaction score
I was gifted a new dual gauge regulator (DGR), so now I have two DGR's.

Not knowing the mechanics and plumbing of Single Gauge Regulators vs. DGR's, can I just remove the tank pressure gauge from my second DGR, plug the valve stem opening, and feed a gas line into the open port that had my tank pressure gauge using a regulator coupler?

Or would I be better serves just selling the superfluous DGR and buying a proper Secondary Regulator?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

"DGR"? Oh kay...

You could remove the high pressure gauge from your existing regulator, remove the tank coupler from the gift regulator, and connect them together using a 1/4" NPT nipple.

The only catch is matching the nipple to the threads on the bypass port (that your existing high pressure gauge is screwed in to) and the threads on the tank coupler port on your new regulator. If the regulators are different, one could be lefty and the other righty, and you'd need to obtain that type of nipple.

Once you figure out what types of threads your two regulators use, check with any of the larger home brewing and/or kegging supply companies for the right nipple...

Cheers!

Back