OG Supposed to be 1.06, got 1.07....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-H

Reaction score
Last night I brewed AHS American IPA #1, the OG is supposed to be 1.06 and I came off with 1.071'ish, it was high. I thought about adding water, but I boil & cool all of my water and besides I like strong beer anyway. I used a crapload of White Labs Irish Ale yeast, the krausen is HUGE already(12 hours later). I dont think i'll have any problems with the high gravity, but just wanted your opinions. Thanks.

Sounds good.

I reckon the yeast should manage if it's happy at the beginning.
You just need to see if it can manage the FG. Just Keep an eye on the Gravity when things settle down.

Mike-H said:
Last night I brewed AHS American IPA #1, the OG is supposed to be 1.06 and I came off with 1.071'ish, it was high. I thought about adding water, but I boil & cool all of my water and besides I like strong beer anyway. I used a crapload of White Labs Irish Ale yeast, the krausen is HUGE already(12 hours later). I dont think i'll have any problems with the high gravity, but just wanted your opinions. Thanks.

If my gravity is lower than it's supposed to be, then I'm concerned, and I'll add a supplementary boil if need be. But if my gravity is higher than it's supposed to be, but my volume is normal, then...um...I just smile. :D Pat yourself on the back and enjoy a more alcoholic, maltier beer. Yeeehaw!

Thanks for your replies. I am boiling 5.5 gallons and with the addition of 8lbs LME I should end up with near 5 gallons of beer I would think.... Its "close" to the 5 gallon line but I end up with a lot of trub. I think in the future I will boil closer to 6 gallons of water.

Back