Boston Beer Brewday 4/19 !!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Melana said:
Anyone from our area (Attleboro) that wants to ride up with us is welcome. I'll have 3 open seats.

I may be taking ya up on that offer...trying to get a fellow co-worker and brewer to go...so..we will see.

Paul - what do you need donated/made? Food? Paper plates etc?

-JMW

As far as what to bring, I'd suggest that people bring what they like. I really don't want to say, "You, bring this; you, bring that." I'm so not into controling things like that. I'll be smoking slabs of ribs, BigJohn/Melana will be bringing brats. So any other sort of BBQ fixin's would be great. Anyone want to volunteer for a B-day cake for MrWill?

Paul

Melana said:
I would be happy to make a cake too.

MrWill - What flavor do you prefer?

I have never refused cake...so...not picky. I probably would lean more to a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.

What beer would pair well with that?

-Will

JustMrWill said:
I have never refused cake...so...not picky. I probably would lean more to a vanilla cake with chocolate frosting.

What beer would pair well with that?

-Will

I'm going to go with a brown ale.

A Frenchman making curry? I'm so looking forward to that! (And I thought you guys were crazy for Jerry Lewis, not so much the Stooges?)

Melana, if you're bringing Boston Creme Pie you better take Friday off. One for Will, one for BJ and I'm easily good for 3-4. I got a BCP jones a mile long. (That's what he said, but she said, 'Ya, not quite a mile.'

Damn, I just got out of bed and now I'm jonesing. Do I have to get dressed and drive to Whites? Worked last night and stayed up late this morning watching the game. YAHOOOOOOOO, Opening Day!!!!! Can't we just forget about some other dumb holiday and declare Opening Day a National Holiday? I tell ya, if Hillary were to put making Opening Day as a holiday on her platform I'd (Stop!!!!Fingers!!!! Don't do it!!!! You don't really mean it!!!) vote for her. (Aaaarrrrrggghhhhh!!!!! Oh man, that was painful!)

Paul, I'm laughing right now because I read your post wrong... One for BJ...

Yup, I'll make one Boston Cream Pie (and i make a good one) and you guys will have to fight over it!

Veggies sound very yummy. :)

Thanks for the invite Paul (was starting to think no one wanted to say hi in my invite thread).

I will be attending BeerSummit that weekend so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it (www.beersummit.com). Nice to see so many local brewers though! I'm defintely interested in beer trading with local folks. Have fun everybody!

Ya, I was kicking myself for the bad timing on the Beer Summit weekend but after th last one I'm starting to get disappointed with BeerSummit. I remember the good old days when it was just a bunch of beer geeks hanging out drinking and discussing beers. Now it's turning into the city's biggest frat party with a gazzilion 21 year olds getting faced and a line for the mens room 2 miles long.

OTOH, if you are going to the second session, you could come in the afternoon and leave in the early evening and still make it there.

PTN

From the comments I have heard about Paul's Brew days....I think his bash will be WAY more fun than the Beer Summit!

:cool:

-JMW

beergears said:
... PTN's brew day is on or near Earth Day..!!

Wear something green, hug a tree, (carboy) carpool..!

Remember Earth Shoes from back in the 70's? God, were they stupid!

Fashion highlights from my youth... Robins egg blue polyester leisure suits, Earth Shoes, where your toes were an inch higher than your heels and white guys with afro's.

So someone tell me again how the Russians didn't win?

PTN

Hey all. So I've been a very busy boy this past week. We took the week off, initially intended to go south and dive but upon reflection decided that we needed to do too much around the house to go away. So... we worked our butts off all week. Monday I rented a chainsaw and cut down 10 trees. We piled all teh brush and small branches in piles and left most of the logs at the side of the road. Hanging on to a chainsaw all day long is unbelievably draining amd exhousting. Monday was our one year aniversary and to celebrate we were in bed at 6:30. That's not as much fun as it sounds since we were both sound asleep by 6:31. We were both popping Motrin like it was the cure, which in our case, it was. I got down all of the trees that I felt comfortable taking down and called teh power company to come and saw down the big dead cherry leaning against teh electric line. Would you believe that they didn't want to do it. Because it was only a 'secondary' line they didn't care that it was dead and was going to fall down eventually and take the line out with it. I had three different trucks come by and just shrug and say,' Ya but it's only a secondary line." I eventually got a supervisor out there and he reluctantly agreed to semnd out a crew to cut down the one limb that was actually touching the line. When the eventually showed up I negotiated with the guy and a bottle of wine and 50 bucks later I had a second pile of wood on the ground. It's still there, I had already move on to my next big project. Alices house was built in teh 1880's and it has a few quirks. In the past year I've remodeled the kitchen and the dining room. I had to tear down an old chimney that went up thru the kitchen when I did that job. Well, there was another chimney that used to be used for heating (as near as I can tell from the grates that were covered ove but lead from teh chimney into all the rooms along the way.) ANyway, it was falling apart, literally colapsing in teh basement. We decided to take it won now instead of waiting cause it was just a matter of time before it collaped and took half the hosue with it. So on Wed I climbed up onto the roof and started bashing apart the chimney. Once I got thru the roof and into the attic I was able to break back teh shingles and build a new section of roof to fill teh hole, then I reroofed the area. Then we continued down, tearing out two walls along the way so that we coud get to teh chinmey. Once I was down into teh basement it eventually fell over on its own. We spent teh next day or so cleaning up the debris. The reason it was colapsing is because it was built on dirt with no foundation. Literally, not a bit of concrete, just brick on dirt. No wonder the damned thing was fallin gdown! So I decided to form up the dirt area and cap all of the area that was dirt. By Friday morning I was ready and had 3 yards of concrete delivered. I built a chute to get the concrete from teh truck thru the basement window. Man, you should have seen the look on Alices face when she looked up that chute to see the concrete pouring down! So the concrete got spread out pretty well and I smothed it.

Gotta go, I'll write more later

Bummer, i would have loved to attend. :mad: Stupid family trip to Vermont though, leaving Sat AM.

I could try the "Honey, we can't leave until Sunday, because i want to brew beer with my Internet friends" approach ;) Yea right!

Hey guys,

So I had to go by the library today to get a form for my taxes and while I was there I hopped online and posted my earlier post. Not having a computer hooked up in the house is a wicked PITA.

Anyways, I got a heck of a lot done last week but I guess I posted what I did as way of a warning, the place is still a bit of a construction zone and I won't have everything back together by Saturday. Of course we're not cancelling or anything, but just be aware that there there may well be unpainted sheetrock, piles of brush and brick, etc. around the place. None of that will have any bearing on the beer brewing, I just felt like I ought to say something in advance.

So if you are coming, please PM me for directions. I'm REALLY looking forward to this get together, I feel a deep need to smoke some BBQ and drink beer. As always, the more brewers the better.
PTN

Paul,

If you need any help moving debris we'd be willing to lend a hand. Don't worry about the construction at your house... we're not from Home and Gardens Magazine! What time should we get there for?

I can help as well, between now and Saturday.

I am not that busy with work this week, schedule is a bit weird, as a family member is getting a bunch of medical tests done :-(

PM as needed, I know the way!

Still ruminating what my food offering to bring to brew day...

Hey Paul,

Are you planning any other events for the summer? I'm really bummed that I'm out of town for my brother's wedding, but I feel a little obligated to be there, since I'm in the actual wedding party...

Thanks for the offer guys. It's really not that bad, just a bit disorganized and dusty. I'm off on Friday so I'll get a good bit of it taken care of before Saturday, and if there are piles of stuff in the yard at least the toilet will be working. (Knock on wood, I hope I didn't curse the toilet!)

As far as future events go, I guess that will all depend on whether or not the cops have to come more then once. I'd say the more times the cops come for complaints of disturbing the piece, the more likely we are to repeat the party frequently!:rockin: Honestly, I'm sure we'll do it again, these things are just too much fun to only do them once in a while.

Don't forget to PM soon, I don't have the computer put back together at home and I'm working tonight and tomorrow night.
P

OK, I decided what I'll be brewing this Saturday. I've committed to making 5 kegs of beer for a friends daughters college graduation party. I've already made 10 gallons of Edworts Haus Ale and 5 gallons of Weihenstephan Wheat, two beers that BMC drinkers can appreciate and a friend will be brewing the other 10 gallons of my pale ale recipe with us this Saturday. I won't have those kegs available to lager in until after that date so it would be sort of stupid to brew an Octoberfest now. So I'll make my Steam beer and get a little bit of a free ride while it's still relativley cool out. Here's my recipe.

Mother McRees Uptown Steam Jug

General
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Category: Amber Hybrid Beer
Subcategory: California Common Beer
Recipe Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.5 gal.
Volume Boiled: 6.5 gal.
Mash Efficiency: 72 %
Total Grain/Extract: 11.50 lbs.
Total Hops: 3.0 oz.
Calories (12 fl. oz.): 199.7
Cost to Brew: $28.35 (USD)
Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.48 (USD)

Ingredients
9.5 lbs. American 2-row
1 lbs. American Caramel 30°L
1 lbs. Toasted Pale Malt
1 oz. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 15 minutes.
1 oz. Northern Brewer (Whole, 8.00 %AA) boiled 1 minutes.
.5 oz. Northern Brewer (Pellets, 8.00 %AA) added to
Secondary.
Yeast: WYeast 2112 California Lager

Notes
Single step mash with 3.75 Gallons of strike water at 154 *F for 60
minutes. Mash out at 168*F to collect 6.5 Gallons. Boil to a finish
volume of 5.5 gallons. Whirlpool to leave hot trub behind. Ferment to completion. Spring is the perfect
time to brew this beer. I ferment it in the basement by the cellar door and
the temp is perfect.

Vital Statistics
Original Gravity: 1.051
Terminal Gravity: 1.012
Color: 11.84 SRM
Bitterness: 36.8 IBU
Alcohol (%volume): 5.0 %

Old Hippies will get the name.

I was talking to a friend of mine on the way into work tonight and he was all bummed out to hear that I had killed my keg of Boston Public Garten, my Hoegarten clone, so there is a possibility that I might do one of those, too. I'll need to see how my discretionary beer funds hold out.

I know I'll have a keg of Bleacher Beer on tap, and I can hook up a keg of St Alphonso's Triple. Not sure what else I have ready, I think there is a keg of Inda Wharf IPA around somewhere.

PaulTheBoyGenius just had a great idea! I've received two deliveries for the 888 Russian Imperial Stout swap in the mail (From Poindexter and from CBBaron.) Maybe I'll sacrafice one of each of the two deliveries if the brewers don't mind us opening them up prematurely, and one or two of my own 888 and we can all compare them together.

Anyone else bringing some of their brew?

PTN

I have to look at what I have left in the kegs...I have a road trip to NJ then MD the Wednesday after your party and I promised a few cases to people down that way. I definitely will be bringing a few growlers..just don't know of what. I know my brown ale is getting low...I think I have 3/4 keg of Anchor Steam clone...the Sam adams (ale) clone is getting low...hmmm...

kinda sad...I had 25+ gallons of beer and now I am drinking Southern Comfort to make sure I have enough beer to bring friends...*sigh*

Atleast I have the Irish Red doing it's thang...so I will not be without for long..

-Will

Back