Got the bug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DBhomebrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been interested in brewing for a few years, but just recently got the final impetus. Moved close to my in-laws and bro-in-law invited me to brew on his gear.

It was a great intro. I cooked up two Brewer's Best kits then moved on to two extract + specialty grain recipes. I'm glad to have had the intro on his gear with his coaching. Brew days were a fun get together, but getting our schedules together for bottling was a chore. Both of us have small kids. My last batch sat in primary for six weeks before we had a chance to bottle.

So, with four batches under my belt it was time to pick up my own equipment and get some control post-pitch.

With a mind toward using what I've got and a realization that I can't, nor want to, drink enough to make 5g batches worthwhile, I'm setting myself up to do 2-3g batches on the kitchen stove. I've already got a couple big ol' stock pots. One's big enough for <1.050 BIAB, adding a sparge in a second will allow for big beers. An unused freezer is now temp controlled for fermentation with a new 3g PET carboy. A Corona knock-off with DIY improvements found on this forum will take care of the grist.

I had the makings of another 5g batch of extract in the fridge that I had planned on brewing at BIL's. I split the ingredients and have the first 2.5 gallons bubbling away right now. Once these last two extract batches are complete, it's on to BIAB.

I'm a lifelong home cook and really enjoy traditional methods and scratch cooking. I grill on charcoal 2-3 times a week in all weather including Boston winters and Phoenix summers. The smoker gets fired up 1-2 times a month for ribs, beef clod, pork shoulder, etc. The freezer is packed with my own bacon and poultry stock. The back of the fridge is full of lacto-fermented sauerkraut, hot sauce, garlic, etc. Every two weeks I'm baking another batch of a sourdough. Beer's just my next adventure.

HBT has been an excellent source of information as I've begun my brewing education, thank you. Looking forward to enjoying your company as I venture forth.

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

I didn't think I wanted more than 5 gallons at a time early on either.. turns out you make friends when you have lots of beer to give away and 5 gallons doesn't last as long as you think. 60 beers = 2 beers/day for 1 month. In my house my wife helps me drink it, so that's usually a beer or two with dinner each and I'm brewing every 2-3 weeks to keep the pipeline going with 4 kegs full at a time.

Welcome to HBT!

Looks like you're all set for brewing your own. 2-3 gallon all grain size batches are very doable on a kitchen stove. Use your prewarmed but turned off oven to keep your pot with mash warm.

Enjoy the addiction adventure!

Thanks for the welcomes, everyone.

Welcome from Pa! Sounds like you got a good start! Have fun going down the rabbit hole!

It's a small world. My sister lived in Sauderton for 10yrs.

Welcome from a fellow Saint Louisan. Enjoy the obsession.

I just moved to the area in the fall. Plenty of great local breweries around here for inspiration!

Welcome to the hobby and the forum!

I didn't think I wanted more than 5 gallons at a time early on either.. turns out you make friends when you have lots of beer to give away and 5 gallons doesn't last as long as you think. 60 beers = 2 beers/day for 1 month. In my house my wife helps me drink it, so that's usually a beer or two with dinner each and I'm brewing every 2-3 weeks to keep the pipeline going with 4 kegs full at a time.

I hear ya. I'm sure there may come a time when 5G batches will make sense for me, but for now 2.5-3 is plenty. I'm the only beer drinker in the house these days. 1/d is usual, 2/d every once in a while. I'll go a few days without any beer at all. A case easily lasts me a month.

Besides, keeping to 3G batches allows me to get in the game without investing in a kettle, burner, or chiller. All told, I'm ready to do full-volume boil, all-grain brewing for under $150 invested from mill to capper and everything in-between. And smaller, more frequent batches will offer greater variety and speed the learning curve. :mug:

Use your prewarmed but turned off oven to keep your pot with mash warm.

I'll keep that in mind! One of the benefits of the smaller batch size is the ease of moving it around by myself.

Back