New Mash Tun build finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EddieB428

Reaction score
Paydays are starting to turn into "what new brew toy can I buy/build now?" I just finished putting together a 5 gallon mash tun. Can't wait to try it out on Monday. This will be my first foray into AG and since I'll only be doing 2.5-3 gallon batches, the 5 gallon cooler will be plenty. I'm really curious to see what efficiency I end up with using the tun and the corona style mill. Based on a 60% efficiency, the recipe I'm using should end up at about 7% ABV. I may end up with some powerful brew if I overshoot :D

tun1.jpg

tun2.jpg

Looks great, I too use a 5 gallon mash tun for my 3 gallon winter brews...The ss braid should work great, although I had a maniflod on mine and since it didnt cover alot of surface area I was getting around 56% efficiany, i recently switched to a ss false bottom doing a fly sparge and im now at 78-80%....I never did give the braid a try, probably wish I would have though.

Damn, Blue looks so much nicer than my orange one. I used a shorter but bigger diameter braid from a water heater supply line. I'm getting 75 -85% efficiency. The 85 is with a Corona style mill, at least I think it was 85%. Mine is a 10 gallon cooler.

I'm trying to figure out a way to hold the braid in a fixed position because it just twists whichever way it wants to go. I almost went with a longer braid and a "T" to make a loop but I was getting tired of looking at trying to locate the fittings on the parts list for this build. Just a note for others thinking of doing this. Good luck trying to find 5/8" inner dimension stainless steel washers. Lowe's carries 1/2" and 3/4". I bought 5/8" zinc washers and they don't fit. I ended up using 3/4" SS fender washers and was able to twist a 5/8" zinc washer on far enough.

I'm trying to figure out a way to hold the braid in a fixed position because it just twists whichever way it wants to go. I almost went with a longer braid and a "T" to make a loop but I was getting tired of looking at trying to locate the fittings on the parts list for this build. Just a note for others thinking of doing this. Good luck trying to find 5/8" inner dimension stainless steel washers. Lowe's carries 1/2" and 3/4". I bought 5/8" zinc washers and they don't fit. I ended up using 3/4" SS fender washers and was able to twist a 5/8" zinc washer on far enough.

Menards carries 5/8" stainless washers all day, every day.....

Back