Sanitizing jars before sanitizing additives?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFej

Reaction score
I have some brand new, never used glass mason jars that I just bought, one of which I will be using to put oak chips and bourbon in to soak for a few weeks before going into secondary on a stout that I will be brewing in the next week or so.

I'm not sanitizing any of my equipment yet because I am not brewing anything for at least several more days, otherwise I would just sanitize the jars along with everything else then.

My question is this: Should I sanitize these jars prior to adding the bourbon and oak chips, or will the bourbon sanitize the jars for me? Bear in mind that I will not be filling the jar completely with bourbon.

So should I just make up a small batch of sanitizer just for these jars? Should I just wait and sanitize along with my equipment and just not let the oak chips soak in the bourbon as long?

Depending on the proof of your bourbon, you could probably just shake the chips and bourbon up inside the jar and be fine.

But the decision to use sanitizer or not, should not be a question of thrift economics.
A little sanitizer can save you ten fold in the cost of a batch of beer.

Don't be penny wise, but dollar dumb.

Latest posts

Back