Sanitizing Oak Mixing Spoon/Paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kugel

Reaction score
I have some 1"x3" Oak Planks about 24" long. I'm thinking about using one to make a brew paddle. I would shape/carve it, so that it had about a 1" diameter x 12" long handle and a 1" x 2.75" x 12" Long paddle section. I would then sand it and smooth it out well with rounded edges and rounded corners.

Question is, how to properly "treat" it and/or sanitize it, before using it to stir my wort, which will be boiling.

I have a bottle of Iodoform. But should I try to boil the oak paddle first; or, just wash it in oxiclean and then sanitize with the Iodoform?

Thanks in advance!

Good Brewing and God Bless!

Kugel

The boiling wort will take care of sanitation for you.... I don't think I would seal it though... I could be wrong. After a few years of using a wood paddle and just washing it, I switched to a SS spoon.

One is never going to sanitize a piece of wood - especially wood as porous as oak - without using something you don't want in your beer. So don't worry about it, just give it a good washing off after use. The wort will take care of itself in the boil :)

Cheers!

One is never going to sanitize a piece of wood - especially wood as porous as oak - without using something you don't want in your beer. So don't worry about it, just give it a good washing off after use. The wort will take care of itself in the boil :)

Cheers!
Any issue with a wash in oxiclean, then a good rinse in hot water and then a good spray of iodoform solution? I would then hang it up to air dry.

Good Brewing and God bless!

Kugel

No need to sanitize it any more than the millions, probably billions, of wooden spoons or cutting boards or other cooking implements in use around the world. Just wash it like you wash your dishes. Only use it hot side. I use a sanitized stainless steel spoon cold side. I have something like this I use for big pots in the commercial kitchen. People laugh at it until they need it. Wash with soap and water.
1675976796590.png

You've been given good advice here. I agree that all that is needed is a good washing and rinsing and it will be good to go. Also totally agree to only use it hot side. Use stainless cold side.

Back