Barleywine onto a Lager yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewir

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a Shiner Bock clone right now and was thinking about doing a barleywine in a few weeks. I'm using Saflager S-23 yeast. Does anyone thing it would be a problem using the yeast cake from the lager for the barleywine?

It will be hanging out in my basement which stays a pretty constant 57degrees year round. The temp range according to the yeast packet is up to 59 degrees so I'm two under.

Thanks,

Livewir

livewir said:
I'm fermenting a Shiner Bock clone right now and was thinking about doing a barleywine in a few weeks. I'm using Saflager S-23 yeast. Does anyone thing it would be a problem using the yeast cake from the lager for the barleywine?

It will be hanging out in my basement which stays a pretty constant 57degrees year round. The temp range according to the yeast packet is up to 59 degrees so I'm two under.

Thanks,

Livewir
I found some interesting info in the Barleywine Series book. I'm going to try and make a Thomas Hardy's clone and the book mentioned that the Dorchester brewery used to use the Bavarian yeast to make Thomas Hardy's. The author asked them twice about the yeast strain and it was the bavarian lager. I'm assuming it's fermented at ale temps and that might be part of the secret to the pecuilar flavors that come from a Thomas Hardy's. I have a helles that is almost done the primary ferment. I'm going to wash the yeast and brew a Bock next on that yeast. After that I'm going to make the Hardy's clone by putting the wort on the Lager yeast cake from the Bock. I'll ferment that probably around 68 deg. It'll probably be a month until I try that but I'll let you know the results in about 2 months.

You might have an attenuation problem, but you can always pitch something else to dry it out. The fruity characteristics could be a plus.

livewir said:

Thanks,

Livewir
Went out and bought the Barley Wine Styles book this afternoon. Looking at the Thomas hardy's recipe and it's as follows

O.G. 1.124
T.G. 1.034
IBU's 50
Hop variety: Northdown, Challanger, Golding
Malt: Pipkin Ale 2-row
Mash: First running only
Boil: 90 mins
Fermentation temp: 68 deg
Yeast: Bavarian Lager Yeast (yes we asked twice to make sure we heard them right.)
Ferm time: 90 days (initial ferm 7-10 days)
Aging before bottling 6 months.

I'll be trying this brew in about a month.

Back