This isn't a big deal, right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
OK, I'm just looking for some confirmation that everything is hunky-dorey.

My cyser quit bubbling a few days ago. I gave it a good long stare and didn't see any activity over a couple of minutes so I cracked the lid open slightly to see what was going on.

The smell was sour and yeasty. Hard to describe, but I guess i could say sulphur, yeast, apples and slightly vinegar. This will go away, right?

I had the exact same smell (sans the sulfur) last night when I opened my carboy to transfer my cider to the bottling bucket. I was fearing the worst, but a quick sample taste confirmed that my cider was FREAKING YUMMY. I don't think what you're smelling is a big deal, but if you want to be absolutely sure, take a sample.

Your first taste may not tell you too much, either. My cider was pretty yucky when I bottled it-almost tossed it. After two weeks in bottles, I still didn't like it. 3 weeks in bottles and it's now starting to taste pretty good, though still not much carbonation. It seems to me that some cider is just downright nasty at first (smell and taste), so just give it time...

Yeah I get that smell about the second or third day into fermenting a lot, then it goes away by the time I rack. Your cyser should turn out fine.

Yah, don't worry about- I've had some funked-up sulfur smells with both ciders AND meads, so it must be something about those yeasts, and a cyser would probably get the worst of both worlds.

If you like, give it a day or so, and shake it up a bunch to get some of that gas to come out. Not sure what it'll do to the yeast, but probably everything will just settle out again a day or two after that.

I was about to chime in with the "yeah, mine smells like that sometimes" encouragement until I read the last word "vinegary". Nothing spells doom for cider like acetobacter (i.e. the stuff that makes vinegar).

Now, it may not be infected in which case all will be great. None the less, bottle it (or age it). If it is, you will have a couple of gallons of a great apple cider vinegar. If not, we can all say "see I told you it would be great" down the road. :)

Missing

jaybird said:
ok what is BUTT SLYDER CYSER????I just gotta know!!!
JJ

I fell down the stairs and slid down on my butt when I was bringing down the ingredients. Hurt like hell and I screamed in pain while my wife laughed at me. In the end, it was my ego that was most bruised.

I tasted in a couple of weeks ago. It tasted average. Nothing exciting about it at all. I need to rack it soon to a secondary (been in primary for about 1.5 months). Like the maple wine, it needs time to get it's flavor profile.

Back