what's best time to move hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ate-star

Reaction score
I planted some hops last year. So far, all of them already came out of ground, and are about 5 inches high. But, I am going to move by end of May. So, my question is that do I need to dig them out and put into big pot, or wait until end of May, then dig out, plant them in my new home? I think that by end of May, they will be about 2 feet high if I don’t dig them out.

Thanks,

Diameter, I was assuming these are second year or older..... if new then smaller pots would be fine.

Since the plants are only one year old, you can get by with 14cu.in. since the pot will be temporary.
But I too agree, dig them now.
+1 on watering and even a little bit of MiracleGro.

Okay, I'm having a similar situation, but I won't be able to replant. My hops will have to stay in pots for the foreseeable future as I'm moving to an apartment with no yard. My plants are already about 7 feet tall. Should I cut them back? Am I going to have to leave them for the next tenant?

Okay, I'm having a similar situation, but I won't be able to replant. My hops will have to stay in pots for the foreseeable future as I'm moving to an apartment with no yard. My plants are already about 7 feet tall. Should I cut them back? Am I going to have to leave them for the next tenant?
How did you get your plants to 7' already? I'm in the Harrisburg are and my tallest plants are about 18"..... I have got to hear this.

Here's a photo I took this morning (5/6/09):
hops.jpg

I'm 5'11", the stool is somewhere between 12"-18", and the hops are still about 3" over my head, about 10". Both last year and this year I put Miracle Grow Organic something-or-other on them, along with copious amounts of a manure/hummus mix I got at Wal*Mart.

Moving them to Richmond will be very difficult in their present state, especially since they'll have to become apartment dwellers. Should I just cut them down and take the rhizomes? I won't get a harvest this year, but I'd get to keep them.

EDIT: WOW. Big picture! Hope it doesn't kill any of you with dial-up.

Latest posts

Back