What's a good base for fruit beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alx Rains

Reaction score
Um yeah......... title says it all. I'm thinking of doing a Mango beer, Adding it in after initial ferment (Maybe about a week) and letting it sit for a couple of weeks before bottling. Are Wheat beers the only way to go?
Thanks in advance
Cheers Alx:drunk:

IMO, I find that when using mild fruits, such as mango, the lighter the beer the better.

One reason for adding the fruit to the secondary is you should make sure your beer tastes good first before wasting all that fruit, time and money.:D

Did you know that there's an oil in the Mango's skin that's related to poison ivy and will cause a similar irritation in the skin?

Here's an interesting tidbit to consider when fruitbrewing:

[url said:
http://www.sciencenews.org/pages/sn_arc98/8_8_98/food.htm][/url]
In another instance, a 24-year-old Australian woman with an allergy to alcoholic beverages found herself hospitalized with wheezing, swelling of the lips and mouth, and a near loss of consciousness after eating rock melon. Despite having developed classic symptoms of anaphylactic shock, subsequent tests uncovered no evidence that the woman was actually allergic to the fruit.
However, in probing further, her doctors learned that the particular melon that had evoked the life-threatening symptoms had tasted overripe and a bit pungent. They concluded that their patient’s melon had begun to ferment—producing alcohol. In the March 1997 Annals of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, Dominic F.J. Mallon and Connie H. Katelaris, describe this as the first instance of alcohol-induced anaphylaxis stemming from overly ripe fruit.

I have to admit, I am intrigued by the idea of using mango, as I have never seen it done. Wheat beers are certianly some of the most popular, but I think a Kolsch or a similar light ale, amybe with pilsner base malt instead of two row, would be pretty good. Magic hat #9 is made with apricot and I beleive that is a light ale.

On kind of a similar note, I've got a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit on the shelf to be brewed next weekend that I was thinking of jacking up with something extra in the secondary, not necessarily for a lot of flavor but for aroma. Don't particularly care for an overpowering fruit flavor, but a little bit of subtle aroma might be nice. Thinking maybe of some raspberry or something like that. Am I just being retahded (said in my worst Boston accent), should I wait to play around until I'm working with a wheat beer or something else real light?

the_bird said:
On kind of a similar note, I've got a Brewer's Best Red Ale kit on the shelf to be brewed next weekend that I was thinking of jacking up with something extra in the secondary, not necessarily for a lot of flavor but for aroma. Don't particularly care for an overpowering fruit flavor, but a little bit of subtle aroma might be nice. Thinking maybe of some raspberry or something like that. Am I just being retahded (said in my worst Boston accent), should I wait to play around until I'm working with a wheat beer or something else real light?

If you want a great treat add a 750 ml bottle of real maple syrup after the primary fermentation. It adds a nice complexity to red ale.:mug:

Jsin said:
If you want a great treat add a 750 ml bottle of real maple syrup after the primary fermentation. It adds a nice complexity to red ale.:mug:

That's a good idea, I'll probably do that instead. More local character, as well.

I read somewhere about making a brew with five gallons of maple sap (not syrup) in place of water. I've got enough buddies and buddies of buddies with large tracks of land that I want to try that in the spring.

Back