Corn Sugar for Belgian Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
I've decided to brew Northern Brewers "The Number 8" kit. The fermentables are as follows:

* 10 lbs. Dingemans Pils
* 1.5 lbs. CaraMunich Malt
* 2 lb. Belgian Soft Candi Sugar (boil for 10 min.)
* 15 oz. Corn Sugar (boil for 10 min.)

Two questions. First, is the corn sugar that they're talking about the same simple powdery sugar that I use for priming? Second, other than the obvious alcohol boost, can I expect any flavor characteristics. The recipe was developed by Stan Hieronymous. Do you think he added the simple sugar just for an extra kick, or was there more behind it? Thanks for your thoughts.

The corn sugar is the same as your priming sugar. Its in there to allow for a very dry finish since the sucrose will attenuate completely but honestly I am not sure why you would use corn sugar specifically (besides the no-off flavor aspect). You may want to consider simple table sugar for this application. You also might want to check out Jamil's podcast on Belgian Strong ales, its pretty cool for some tips:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/jamil.php

I would use corn sugar over table sugar, not sure why though. It is not based on any facts or experimentation, just don't think I'd want to put table sugar in there. Now maybe sugar cane, but then the price would be up there with corn sugar.
I guess the only benefit I'd see to table sugar is price, but a pound of corn sugar is 1.99? That's not too bad.

Latest posts

Back