Hello from Chicago

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boothbrew

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post. I've been extract brewing for about 1 year now. I LOVE IT!

I stumbled across this board when I was looking for answers about using ale yeast in a lager recipe. I wonder how it would turn out....

:drunk:

Thanks,

Boothbrew

Hi - lots of Chicago area guys on the board. Feel free to ask any questions you like.

I'm sure your beer will turn out fine, but don't expect it to taste like a lager

Use a neutral dry yeast and ferment near the bottom of the temperature scale. It won't be a lager, but it will be close.

Welcome!

Yes, a Kolsch yeast would be ideal or a San Franciso lager yeast. I've made pseudo-lagers with White Labs WLP810 and the results were very tasty. Just keep the fermenter on the cool side. Either wrap a wet towel around your fermenter or, if it ever gets cold enough out, keep it covered in a garage or exterior room that tends to stay cool.

Welcome. I've also been extract brewing for about a year. I've learned so much just by reading on this site. I'm sure you will too.

I actually went out this weekend and bought a compact fridge and that device that controls the temperature of the fridge.
I also made my first lager batch and it is in the fridge. Hopefully, when I get home from work today, I'll see it bubbling.
Homebrewing is so addicting....

Thanks everyone...

boothbrew said:
I actually went out this weekend and bought a compact fridge and that device that controls the temperature of the fridge.
I also made my first lager batch and it is in the fridge. Hopefully, when I get home from work today, I'll see it bubbling.
Homebrewing is so addicting....

Thanks everyone...

Great! I've yet to step into lagering. I'm going to do it eventually, but already have too many brewing related projects in the air with my AG stuff. Let us know how it turns out.

Back