Possibly the best beer I've ever had!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
2012-06-20_21-25-51_748.jpg

Tried this beauty last night for the first time. I am a Southern Tier junkie anyways. They dont make bad beer. But this thing is on a whole different level. Incredible is the only word I can think of to describe it and that does it no justice. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and try this beer if you haven't already. Southern Tier has its $hit together!

I know I have had something from them before...are they the ones with the Double Wide Imperial IPA? Or is that Boulevard?

I have never had that beer but I am a big fan of southern tier. You can't go wrong with something from them.

Boulevard has been underwhelming me lately. New Belgium is probably the brewery that has the most offerings which I like. Ranger is a helluva IPA and their Belgian beers are great for ~$6.99 a sixer.

Ehhhh I think their Mokah is junk and their creme brûlée is tooooo sweet. But I think they hit it on point with their choklat.

Love almost everything southern tier, their unearthly is awesome (without the oak), Gemini, 2xipa, 2xstout etc...

Can't drink their pumking though..too much nutmeg and spice, awful beer in my opinion. With them it's either I love it completely or can't drink it at all

ArcticBear said:
Ehhhh I think their Mokah is junk and their creme brûlée is tooooo sweet. But I think they hit it on point with their choklat.

Love almost everything southern tier, their unearthly is awesome (without the oak), Gemini, 2xipa, 2xstout etc...

Can't drink their pumking though..too much nutmeg and spice, awful beer in my opinion. With them it's either I love it completely or can't drink it at all

Creme brûlée stout is what got me into brewing actually. And the Pumpking. OMG I need to find a good clone of that because I could drink it all day long.

Their Choklat is amazing, I've had the java and mocha also. I need to get this one!

Yeah Creme Brulee Stout is a great dessert or winter beer. It's a perfect date night after dinner beer if you're trying to impress a lady. I think there's a clone floating around here somewhere.

Yup. It was in the December 2011 BYO. I've got 5gal in secondary now. I'm gonna wait and keg it @ xmas time. It was pretty good after about a month but I want 2 wait and drink it when it's cold.

The wife & I love Pumking (after Schlafly & Williamsburg AleWerks) but spat out the Creme Brûlée Stout--too cloying. Guess it just goes to prove "Diff'rent Strokes for different folks" :)

ArcticBear said:

Agreed. Some of their stuff is a little out there for me. I do like them as a brewery though.

View attachment 65738

Tried this beauty last night for the first time. I am a Southern Tier junkie anyways. They dont make bad beer. But this thing is on a whole different level. Incredible is the only word I can think of to describe it and that does it no justice. PLEASE do yourselves a favor and try this beer if you haven't already. Southern Tier has its $hit together!

This just hit my bottle shop yesterday. I was on the fence about it, but I think I'll give it a shot (sure 97* weather and a creme brulee stout don't sound like a good match, but I'll make it work) :rockin:

Thanks and repped.

Bloody hell that sounds awesome. I'm getting damn tired of only being able to buy a fraction of all the awesome American beers in this backwater country.

My review of this beer is not horrid but it is certainly a "one of" for me. I have had it in the bomber and on tap last year.

The overall theme of this is caramel. I mean like in your face unbelievably overpowering caramel. One of my favorite bartenders would walk around with some in a taster glass smelling it ALL night so the aroma is "Overpowering caramel" it tastes just like it smells. IMO it is almost cloyingly sweet. This could be a pilsner or a red and it would not matter for all the caramel flavor in it, it is all you can taste.

For anyone that REALLY loves this stuff make up a batch of your favorite milk stout and add in 1 squeeze bottle (11 oz) of Lyle's Golden Syrup at flame out and you will be damn close.

Yeah this beer was pretty amazing, although i could not have finished a bomber by myself

I was thinking more of a reduction of the first runnings with a lot a English extra dark caramel malt in the mash

Definitely to each their own. I can’t sit here and name the different notes and so forth. I like to keep it simple. And I was just blown away by what seems to be a pretty complex beer. And I got a lot of vanilla more than caramel, but again I don’t really have a good nose. Finished the second one last night. Love it!

I agree, pumpking is over-hyped and just not that good. Shipyard makes a great balanced pumpkin ale, and believe it or not I have heard great things of DFH's pumpkin.
I think it was the choklat that I did appreciate alot as well.

The creme brulee? Meh. It'll do for dessert beer, thats for sure. It is a damn dessert by itself. Way too sweet, cloyingly so. Could barely finish a snifter full. It tasted delicious, but something I would just want 4-6oz of with some cheesecake.

best beer ive ever had? not by a loooong shot. but as stated before, to each their own

Wow.....as I like Southern Teir I have found they are over the top in everything they do. Not of fan of this beer. Way to sweet for me. I do like the Punking though. I love my stouts and this can't touch a KBS, Black Ops, Old Raspy, and many others in my opinion. '

But to each his own....if you like it drink it

Too much vanilla in this beer for me. Buddy had a keg of it and felt like I was burping vanilla.
Pumking is very good though.
Boulevard has some GREAT beers.

I agree, pumpking is over-hyped and just not that good. Shipyard makes a great balanced pumpkin ale, and believe it or not I have heard great things of DFH's pumpkin.
I think it was the choklat that I did appreciate alot as well.

Shipyards is a great balance of spice. I love DFH's Punkin ale..not too spiced and a really refreshing fall beer

Liquor store by me had this on tap recently, the guy said it was awesome mixing the pumpking and the creme brulee. Poured me a little sample, good stuff but not springing for a growler of each.

Reubens888 said:
Does anyone know if the distribute to michigan? (Grand rapids area)

No clue about GR, but many stores in the Detroit Metro area carry Southern Tier.

Back