How long does it take chill haze to drop out at fridge temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonbrew

Reaction score
I've got a batch of "Two Hearted Ale" clone that weighs in at 1.064 OG 1.007 FG. I mashed @ 150 for 75 min, boiled for 90 min, chilled to 72 degrees and pitched a starter I made after harvesting the yeast of a Bell's Two Hearted Ale sixer. I fermented for 7 days then dry hopped in the primary for another 14 days (which by the way seemed to kick off another few days of fermentation). After a combined 21 days in the primary I racked to secondary with a prepared solution of four ounces of water and 1/2 teaspoon of gelatin. The batch sat for 24 hours on my basement floor at about 69 degrees where most of the yeast quickly fell out and left a moderately clear beer. The beer now sits in my almost finished kezzer (waiting on cornies and taps from kegconnection) crashing at 38 degrees where its been for five days now. As soon as the beer got down to fridge temp it developed its usual chill haze.

My question is how long does it typically take for chill haze to drop clear in a chilled cornie? This is going to be my first kegged beer.

I 've bottled everything I've brewed so far and have noticed that If I leave the bottles in the fridge long enough they will eventually drop clear, haze and all... but I usually drink them first. I assume the bigger the beer the longer the clearing process? I use Irish Moss in all my brews, and have a counter flow chiller, so I usually get a good cold break, and after I secondary several days with the gelatin, I wind up with quite brilliant room temperature beer. But there is nothing like a glass of crystal clear COLD beer to make you proud to say "I made this..."

What do you guys think? How long should I have to let it chill at 38 before it clears up? Knowing myself I could "test sample" the keg away before I get my answer.

Thanks Guys

Your first few pints might be cloudy, but should be smooth pouring after that. I would think maybe 2 weeks max and it should be crystal clear.

Is it true chill haze or just a bit of leftover yeast that has to settle?

Pull a "hazed" glass from the keg, and let it warm up to high 40s or low 50s without bothering it. If it's truly a chill haze it will clear as it warms up. Otherwise it's suspended yeast still.

Deuce is also right about the first few pints. However time is relative to what yeast, etc. I have a Kolsch that is almost brilliantly clear, but it's been 3 months in the keg and 4 months old. Unfortunately, it's about kicked too.

Back