What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not something you'll hear me say often but, that Bloody Mary looks good. Even looks properly made.

Drinking coffee now and probably through the rest of the daylight hours today.

The Delta SkyClubs (in Atlanta anyway) usually do a decent Bloody Mary. Especially for free. On #4 now. About to board.

Opted for some bubbly over Heineken or Miller Lite pre-takeoff. On #2 now
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415806113.259620.jpg

Water Sitting in the tire shop for tires and other routine maintenance. Work is exploding and I'm frustrated.

Yeast nutrient? I use whatever the wyeast stuff is.

I use yeast slurry that sat around too long to trust. I don't know if I am doing myself any good but it gets boiled so it can't hurt!

I need coffee. I make too much money to work this hard. Should be drinking a rye porter right now. Going to work today was a poor life choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

thanks for the feedback. I have some servomyces now that Im going to use in my beers from now on. My beers seem to start really slow even with a hefty pitch so Im hoping this speeds things up. I may do a side by side with the cheap nutrients to see if there is a noticeable difference because there certainly is in price.

thanks for the feedback. I have some servomyces now that Im going to use in my beers from now on. My beers seem to start really slow even with a hefty pitch so Im hoping this speeds things up. I may do a side by side with the cheap nutrients to see if there is a noticeable difference because there certainly is in price.

Do you hit your wort with O2? That has made a huge difference in how fast/vigorous my fermentation starts.

Do you hit your wort with O2? That has made a huge difference in how fast/vigorous my fermentation starts.

Nope, I dont have an oxygen or aeration set up. I flow everything by gravity out of the BK, through a fine mesh strainer which then dumps into the fermentor. I figure it has to add some oxygen but its obviously not ideal.

Nope, I dont have an oxygen or aeration set up. I flow everything by gravity out of the BK, through a fine mesh strainer which then dumps into the fermentor. I figure it has to add some oxygen but its obviously not ideal.

Even then I would beat that wort with a paddle like it owed you money for a good 10 minutes.

$811 later (3 tires, wiper blades, oil change) and a return trip to the mechanic because my keys wouldn't come out of the ignition...
India red ale in a hamburglar glass because I don't care.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415821888.367532.jpg

+1 on the O2 setup, I only use a nutrient on bigger beers, normal gravity 1.065/1.070 take off fine with just the O2. The small tanks last at least a couple dozen brews.

Even then I would beat that wort with a paddle like it owed you money for a good 10 minutes.

10 minutes?! Good god. I made a budget whip out of a wire hanger that I used to use with my cordless drill. Worked really well to aerate (and you don't have to beat it by hand), but then I noticed that the coating on the hanger was starting to flake off :eek: Still have to figure out a good substitute.

In other news, I don't know why I subscribe to this damn ECY google group from Princeton Homebrew. He's got some more ECY20 and 34 in, but only selling it in 6-packs. Not looking to drop $90 on yeast right now, thanks. :mad:

I'm as cheap as the next home brewer and make as much equipment as I can, but in some cases it's just easier to buy. $50 from Northern Brewer without any sale and tanks are under $10. Personally, I'd skip my next planned brew day to buy it if need be, but using O2 is right up there with starters and fermentation temperature control.

OMFG I hate this ****ing day to no end. :( :mad:
Seriously, I need a vacation or something. For now, it'll just be beer until I cannot stay awake. :(

It sucks that I end up at the beer store on the day I don't want to drink beer.

It's party time. :D

I'm as cheap as the next home brewer and make as much equipment as I can, but in some cases it's just easier to buy. $50 from Northern Brewer without any sale and tanks are under $10. Personally, I'd skip my next planned brew day to buy it if need be, but using O2 is right up there with starters and fermentation temperature control.

You calling me cheap!?! (I am)

A small aquarium pump is another option.

Yep - that's what you'd use. Home Depot, Lowes, Sears Hardware and I'd bet TruValue Hardware all carry them.

You calling me cheap!?! (I am)

A small aquarium pump is another option.

I called myself cheap. ;) I used an aquarium pump before this and for what you'd spend on the pump, tubing and a stone I'd still say go with the oxygenation kit - far better results for me.

Enjoying this a lot. Thanks @finsfan Even though is says best by 9/3/14 it's damn good. Never had it before but, I'm guessing that time is a friend with this one.

1415829279203.jpg

Enjoying this a lot. Thanks @finsfan Even though is says best by 9/3/14 it's damn good. Never had it before but, I'm guessing that time is a friend with this one.

Very much so. I always have a bunch in my cellar that I age at least 6 months before drinking. Its good fresh but way better aged. Cheers!

Back