Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at a bar the other day listening to the specials. The waitress told me there was a special on Bud Light and Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I quickly ordered the Sam Adams. The waitress said she heard it was good and it is a"pumpkin beer". I just looked at her and slowly shook my head.

brussum said:
I hope it's not a new trend. I have a buddy that does a Black and Tan with Guinness and cider. He swears by them, so my wife ordered one a few weeks ago when we we're all out together. One sip and I wanted to throw up. A waste of good beer AND good cider. I guess it's an acquired taste that I hope not to acquire.

A Black and Tan should be Guinness and a pale ale or a brown ale ( for some reason now a days lager is even used for the "tan" bit) , I have no idea what the heck a Guinness and cider is supposed to be called. Maybe your mate just has odd tastes.

A Black and Tan should be Guinness and a pale ale or a brown ale ( for some reason now a days lager is even used for the "tan" bit) , I have no idea what the heck a Guinness and cider is supposed to be called. Maybe your mate just has odd tastes.

Guinness + Blue Moon= Black & Blue
Guinness + Bass= Black & Tan
Guinness + Harp= Half & Half

There are probably a dozen regional varietals of the Guinness+XXXXX formula that are popular.

I ordered a Black & Blue in Canada once and they used Labatt Blue for the blue. It was terrible and I sent it back.

mcspanner said:

Guinness and cider has always been called a Snakebjte in that bars I've gone to.

I was at a bar the other day listening to the specials. The waitress told me there was a special on Bud Light and Sam Adams Oktoberfest. I quickly ordered the Sam Adams. The waitress said she heard it was good and it is a"pumpkin beer". I just looked at her and slowly shook my head.

Instead of shaking your head, why didn't just give her a quick rundown of what it really is? Next time someone asked she could say "I heard it is good. It is a little more malty and toasty with some bitterness. No it is not a pumpkin beer"

She would probably appreciate knowing that, as would her future customers

There are probably a dozen regional varietals of the Guinness+XXXXX formula that are popular.

I ordered a Black & Blue in Canada once and they used Labatt Blue for the blue. It was terrible and I sent it back.

Had a black tire at a bar in houston. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't anything special either.

Was at an outback on a business trip in west Virginia a couple weeks ago. Waitress ran down the tap list that was all BMC and one great lakes beer. Being from the cleveland area and now living in houston, i got excited. I asked which it was and she said "fizzy something or other, its really dark because of all the hops in it. I think its like 9% alcohol too."

I ordered one, assuming correctly I was getting an Edmund Fitzgerald. After travelling all day I didn't want to beer geek out in front of a waitress or several co workers that are much higher up the ladder than I am

Had a black tire at a bar in houston. Wasn't terrible. Wasn't anything special either.

Was at an outback on a business trip in west Virginia a couple weeks ago. Waitress ran down the tap list that was all BMC and one great lakes beer. Being from the cleveland area and now living in houston, i got excited. I asked which it was and she said "fizzy something or other, its really dark because of all the hops in it. I think its like 9% alcohol too."

I ordered one, assuming correctly I was getting an Edmund Fitzgerald. After travelling all day I didn't want to beer geek out in front of a waitress or several co workers that are much higher up the ladder than I am

Edmund Fizzygerald

that is a very funny thing overheard about beer

I salute you :mug:

I hope it's not a new trend. I have a buddy that does a Black and Tan with Guinness and cider. He swears by them, so my wife ordered one a few weeks ago when we we're all out together. One sip and I wanted to throw up. A waste of good beer AND good cider. I guess it's an acquired taste that I hope not to acquire.

This is a big? trend, theres a beer bar called world of beer, and they have a couple pages on their menu dedicated to blends.

Fwiw, they boast like 400 different bottles and like 80 taps or something.

A couple of years ago a friend volunteered to work at a beerfest and was placed on the Budweiser truck, serving their craft offerings like Red Hook and Widmir. It wasn't a very popular booth so he spent most of his time mixing the taps in every possible combination. He swears that he found one that was divine. I think he just reach that point where the alcohol was impairing his judgement.

You want to hear about a terrible mix? When I was in Bavaria they mixed wheat beer with coca cola! They call it radler which also applies to the lemonade/beer mix as well. Gross! I thought Germans knew better than this!

You want to hear about a terrible mix? When I was in Bavaria they mixed wheat beer with coca cola! They call it radler which also applies to the lemonade/beer mix as well. Gross! I thought Germans knew better than this!

In Spain they mix red wine and coke all the time. Tastes awful. I think it's just Europeans being weird (excluding brits cos we have great taste, obviously).

Black Eyes are pretty popular around here= Stout & IPA

Do you not get any of the Black IPA offerings out in the boonies? :p (good sized city I would move to)

In Spain they mix red wine and coke all the time. Tastes awful. I think it's just Europeans being weird (excluding brits cos we have great taste, obviously).

That sounds like a bad idea. Are you sure they are not just messing with the tourists?

That sounds like a bad idea. Are you sure they are not just messing with the tourists?

Nah I've seen this in Spain, plus from the Spanish international students at uni. And my gf spent a year in France as an international student and it was common amongst the Spanish students.

I don't get it, all the British/Irish mixes are essentially just about getting slammed as quickly as possible whereas the euro don't make any sense.

http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2013/06/worlds-first-cola-flavoured-wine-launched/ this was discussed on Radio 4 the other week. Aside from my inner 13 year old s******ing every time I hear the name they chose, I can't see any other redeeming feature.

The coke radler I have had whilst in Germany, it tasted better than I expected. I don't get the syrup in Berlinerweisse either. Now we really need to find something funny we overheard about beer to get this anywhere near being back on topic!

I used to do that when I was a teenager, mainly because it was easy to sneak and not get caught. :D

this was a black & blahblahblah I made with home brew. top was a Bourbon Imperial Stout & the bottom was a Braggot. it was awesome.

0510001919.jpg

Billy-Klubb said:
this was a black & blahblahblah I made with home brew. top was a Bourbon Imperial Stout & the bottom was a Braggot. it was awesome.

So it was a Blaggot...

So it was a Blaggot...

that sounds almost racist and/or homophobic

but it's really not at all
great. now I'm gonna start calling people Blaggot even though I'm not racist and/or homophobic. and no one except you guys are gonna know what I'm talking about. I'm still gonna laugh like a madman though.

GrogNerd said:
that sounds almost racist and/or homophobic

but it's really not at all

Who said it isn't? ;)
Billy-Klubb said:
great. now I'm gonna start calling people Blaggot even though I'm not racist and/or homophobic. and no one except you guys are gonna know what I'm talking about. I'm still gonna laugh like a madman though.
I laughed just thinking about it.

Normally a Radler is a Helles or an Export with lemon soda (not sprite though). That just sounds terrible.

I used to do that when I was a teenager, mainly because it was easy to sneak and not get caught. :D
Huh, ours where usually vodka in sprite.
That reminds me, I need to fill that empty mayo jar with vanilla pudding and eat it in public.

So I'm sitting in a bar 6 months back and two girls next too me are drinking beer (kind of odd where i come from actually). Anyway, One says "That was pretty good, Let me try stella and..... blue moon". I'm thinking wow! Girl ordering two beers at once?? I watch, the bartender fills the glass half full, and moves on to the next tap and finishes it!!!! Wait, What the hell just happened???

Is this a new trend? Can you really mix two completely different beers together and achieve perfection? Bud light and sierra nevada pale ale? Would it work?!?!

I haven't been to a bar since..

Half & halves are a semi-common thing. Most people stick to the classics, like a Black & Tan (Guinness and Bass). Then there are people like your adventurous locals, who mix whatever the hell.

And then there are the spastics who order a Pabst Smear, which is (depending on who you ask) either Pabst and vodka, or Pabst and Guinness.

Not everyone should be allowed to have beer. :off:

Locally, there are a lot of places that serve a Black Barrel, which is half-Guinness and half-KY Bourbon Barrel Ale. Delicious!

But anyway...here is a conversation I had with a random guy in the Erdinger beer line last night at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati:

Random Guy: So, do you guys like the wheat beer here? I forget what it's called.
Me: The hefeweizen? Yeah, my wife loves it.
RG: Hefeweizen. Sorry I had a mental block. Did you know there are two grains in hefeweizen? One is the wheat, and I forget what the "weizen" is.
Me: "Weizen" is the wheat, and "hefe" means yeast. The other grain is--
RG: Yeah, yeast! I had another mental block! So, if they just brew the yeast, it won't have much alcohol, so they add the wheat and that gives it more alcohol.
Me: Uh...[debating about whether to pull a "well actually..."]
RG: How did you guys get into drinking hefeweizens?

At this point the conversation diverged, so I didn't have a chance to correct him. He was at least on the right track, and I didn't have the nerve to go into lecture mode when we're all just waiting for another drink. Plus, he may have actually known his stuff and just had his knowledge clouded by a few too many.

We have a place around here that has a drink called the "Dirty Duck." It's a Natural Light with a shot of 151 and Amaretto served in a duck decoy shotgun style. Not as bad as you might think.

Locally, there are a lot of places that serve a Black Barrel, which is half-Guinness and half-KY Bourbon Barrel Ale. Delicious!

But anyway...here is a conversation I had with a random guy in the Erdinger beer line last night at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati:

Random Guy: So, do you guys like the wheat beer here? I forget what it's called.
Me: The hefeweizen? Yeah, my wife loves it.
RG: Hefeweizen. Sorry I had a mental block. Did you know there are two grains in hefeweizen? One is the wheat, and I forget what the "weizen" is.
Me: "Weizen" is the wheat, and "hefe" means yeast. The other grain is--
RG: Yeah, yeast! I had another mental block! So, if they just brew the yeast, it won't have much alcohol, so they add the wheat and that gives it more alcohol.
Me: Uh...[debating about whether to pull a "well actually..."]
RG: How did you guys get into drinking hefeweizens?

At this point the conversation diverged, so I didn't have a chance to correct him. He was at least on the right track, and I didn't have the nerve to go into lecture mode when we're all just waiting for another drink. Plus, he may have actually known his stuff and just had his knowledge clouded by a few too many.

He also might have been an expert brewer who was trolling you. Have you never been trolled? :mug:

forstmeister said:

Guinness + Magic Hat #9 = Black Magic

Guinness and cider is great, too. But I usually find that when I get to the bottom of a Black and whatever, I really just wanted full glass of Guinness.

I like the idea and the names of the Guinness + XXXXX formulas more than the actual drinks

Guinness + Smithwicks = Blacksmith

When my buddies went to spring break they discovered you can't take glass on the beach and the " panama beer" was born random whiskey poured into a half empty coors

Back