Adventures in 1st AG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beernik

Reaction score
I just finished my first AG, a milk stout I'll add hazelnut extract to at bottlng.

For the most part it went smooth. Batch sparged at 140F for 30 minutes and 150F for 60 minutes.

However, I discovered my design has a safety issue. The mash tun spigot popped off.... Twice.

When it popped of at 150F, I discovered wort is uncomfortable but can easily be held back by my hand. At 170F, it scalds a bit. I have three lightly burned fingers now.

I also managed to siphone a little wortout of the brew kettle on to the floor.

But all was cool. I cleaned it with 1-Step which I managed to spill twice while I was cleaning up.

Now, it's mojito time.

HAHAHHAH

**** man, you're brewing with the knob up to eleven for sure !:tank:

Other than the 1st and possibly 2nd degree burns, it sounds like a good time. My first AG had a mash that ran twice as long. I misread my thermometer and was about 15F too low. Daaamnit.

Its good to have another SLC member on the board. If ya ever want to split any bulk-hops orders, lemme know.

On my first AG experience I learned that keggles are hot after going through an hour long boil. :drunk:

Burned.jpg

I burn myself enough that I keep aloe around. I'm forgetful and impatient.

Latest posts

Back