Cheers from Portland, Maine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburks725

Reaction score
Greetings from Portland (the east coast one). I've been talking about brewing on and off for a few years, but my wife insisted that we own a home before I could home brew. Well, I guess she took pity on me, because my 30th birthday present from her was a nice two stage kit, a kettle, and a Brewer's Best spiced Holiday Ale kit. :ban:

That brew went fairly well, though I think I under-aerated the wort. I've now got a Belgian strong dark ale (based on NB's #8, but LHBS-sourced) in my primary and it's bubbling nicely. I also got a Mr. Beer kit from a well-meaning relative for Christmas, so that's in the little keg doing it's thing. I figured that would help me stay patient while the SDA ages.

Is it bad that now spend my lunch hour eyeing equipment and recipes on NB? :D

Welcome! Being in Portland you need to go over to Maine Brewing Supply on Forest Ave. It is literally right beside Great Lost Bear (Bonus!). It is one of the best HB shops there is, plenty of equipment, lots of ingredients on hand, books of all kinds, and hell, they even have a decent beer selection. The employees are always really helpful too. Good luck!

Welcome! Being in Portland you need to go over to Maine Brewing Supply on Forest Ave. It is literally right beside Great Lost Bear (Bonus!).

I live on Forest Ave., about 1 mile from GLB. I've spent plenty of time and money there. I also know Rob Zimmerman (owner of MBS). The kit I got was bought there, and the ingredients for the BSDA I have fermenting now were all bought there as well. :D

Welcome to the boards. I'll be coming down to Portland soon from the mid coast for swmbo I'm grateful for hearing about a homebrew shop anywhere in Maine so is Maine Brewing Supply toward downtown or away from the city coming south on 295 not really knowing the area well yet I know Atlanta like the back of my hand go figure.

Thanks

How interesting... I got a complete brewing/kegging system from MY wife for my 30th birthday.

I guess as a midlife crisis activity, home brewing is relatively benign.

Welcome Aboard ..

Last time in Portland was on the way to Bar Harbor ... Maine is just TOO BIG ! (but I like Shipyard!)

Welcome to the boards. I'll be coming down to Portland soon from the mid coast for swmbo I'm grateful for hearing about a homebrew shop anywhere in Maine so is Maine Brewing Supply toward downtown or away from the city coming south on 295 not really knowing the area well yet I know Atlanta like the back of my hand go figure.

Thanks

If you're on 295, take exit 6B (Forest Ave/100/302 N). It's about a mile up on your left. Look for the Red Cross signs (or, better yet - Great Lost Bear). The address is 542 Forest Ave.

[ame=http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=542+Forest+Ave.,+04103&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=40.409448,83.759766&ie=UTF8&ll=43.665776,-70.276794&spn=0.009034,0.020449&z=16]542 Forest Ave., 04103 - Google Maps[/ame]

-Jason

Welcome! Portland is such a great little city. The beer, the bars, the food are all terrific. :mug:

Back